PowerBook G4 charging issue

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by PowerPCMacMan, Mar 2, 2013.

1. PowerPCMacMan macrumors 6502a

PowerPCMacMan

Hey everyone,

I am usually the LAST one who would ever have problems with any of my Macs, but here goes one thats strange:

Ok, I go ahead and plug in my power adapter for my PowerBook G4 DLSD 1.67 and the charging band simultaneously goes from green to amber/amber to green.

Below is what my current battery cycle is:

Charge Information:
    Charge remaining (mAh): 714
    Charging: Yes
    Full charge capacity (mAh): 2494
    Health Information:
    Cycle count: 241
    Condition: Good
    Battery Installed: Yes
    Amperage (mA): 1941
    Voltage (mV): 12381

Given this information.. I did notice that the battery was still charging, even though system profiler reported the battery not charging. The only other thing I can think of why this happened could be that my battery is reaching its end of life stage.

What's weird though is that my battery was still charging?! I tested my DC-IN board and it appears to be functioning normally. The battery's level at the time of charge was only 4% and up until 12% it changed from green/amber to just AMBER which is when its charging..

Anyone have a clue as to why this behavior is occurring?

Thanks,

PPCMM
    :apple:

2. havokalien macrumors 6502a

havokalien

Charge cycles vs age

Unless this is a newer replacement, I would bet due to age that thing is dust. Lots of charging cycles and age that thing would have outlived its usefulness.

3. PowerPCMacMan thread starter macrumors 6502a

PowerPCMacMan

Hey thanks for the quick reply.. I guess I will just get a new battery. I don't know if the original owner ever changed the battery, but I will just get a newer battery. Perhaps close to 300 cycles is EOF for a PowerBook G4 battery.

I usually get rid of dust bunnies every month using compressed air and also the DC-IN port looks clean as well.. Maybe this is just a battery issue.

4. g4manimac macrumors 6502

I have a battery in the mail RIGHT NOW the tracking number says that it is out for delivery from my local post office and I cant wait.

Battery Information:

Battery Installed: Yes
    First low level warning: No
    Full Charge Capacity (mAh): 62628
    Remaining Capacity (mAh): 0
    Amperage (mA): 0
    Voltage (mV): 8371
    Cycle Count: 571

Mine is so far gone that is the charger get pulled even a little she shuts off I bought it used a couple weeks ago so its gonna be nice to have one that I can carry around.FYI mine is constant back and green/amber CONSTANTLY.

5. havokalien macrumors 6502a

havokalien

Lol dust

Dust was a slang term there sorry. I meant like another one bites the "dust", meaning dead. If that was confusing I apologize.