PowerBook G4, Cinema Display, and heat.

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by PowerGamerX, Aug 2, 2010.

1. PowerGamerX macrumors 6502a

PowerGamerX

My PowerBook is wonderful. I love it. However, using the cinema display, the fan kicks on to full blast within 15 minutes. Temperatures usually stay down (128 right now being the hottest) but it's really annoying. Are there any visual effects etc. that I could turn off easily in Leopard so my laptop doesn't start blowing the fans so quickly? Heck, I'd be fine if the fans just hovered around 5200rpm. I gather the temps would max around 140-145 Fahrenheit which is perfectly acceptable, but I know of no free fan controllers. I'm not going to pay for G4 Fan Control.

2. OrangeSVTguy macrumors 601

OrangeSVTguy

G4FanControl used to be free? Try blowing the dust out of the PB with some compressed air. Even something to elevate the PB like a Griffen iCurve or something similar would help drop the temps a bit.

3. PowerGamerX thread starter macrumors 6502a

PowerGamerX

It's impossible to find a free version of it anymore. The inside of my PowerBook is squeaky clean (I open it up and blow the dust out of it every 6 months or so) and it's sitting on a stand elevated from the desk with plenty of airflow.

4. OrangeSVTguy macrumors 601

OrangeSVTguy

I'll upload the older free version later when I get off work. We'll see if that helps you out any.

5. PowerGamerX thread starter macrumors 6502a

PowerGamerX

Ok thank you. It's not getting too hot (125F right now) but the fans are on full blast. Which is what bugs me.

6. OrangeSVTguy macrumors 601

OrangeSVTguy

Here's the older free version :)

Hope this helps you out!

Attached Files: