Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

robx2

macrumors member
Original poster
May 27, 2005
We have a 30 inch cinema display (older white model with the power brick) at work that I share with another 15" Powerbook user. His Powerbook works perfectly with the monitor, but my DVI connection creates a lot of staticy noise -- especially in the middle color tones. Could this be a product of a dirty DVI connection (we use the same adapter cord) or is it due to the fact that his Powerbook has a 128MB Video card while I'm using the 64MB ATI Mobility Radeon 9600? I have no problems driving a second VGA monitor at home.

Anyone have any experience with the 9600 driving a Cinema Display?

Rob

macbaseball

macrumors 6502a
Feb 27, 2005
Northern California
Your absolutely right. The reason that there's a lot of staticy noise, is because your card it's supposed to drive that monitor. That is also the reason it probably doesn't looks as good when you drive it.

the future

macrumors 68040
Jul 17, 2002
robx2 said:
We have a 30 inch cinema display (older white model with the power brick) at work that I share with another 15" Powerbook user.

There is no "older" 30 inch cinema display, just the Alu version sold today. Are you talking about an older 23 or 22 inch cinema display with the thicker, pinstriped plastic enclosure??

robx2

macrumors member
Original poster
May 27, 2005
You're right...

Yeah, I guess I was coveting my office mate's new 30". It is the pinstriped 23" inch, so I guess by looking at the tech specs that I woudn't need dual-link DVI.

So, should my 9600 card be up to the task? Can a dirty connector be the issue? I've tried compressed air but have seen no visible improvement.

Rod Rod

macrumors 68020
Sep 21, 2003
Las Vegas, NV
If the native resolution on that screen is 1600x1024, it's a 22".
If the native resolution on that screen is 1920x1200, it's a 23".

My guess is it's a 22" because that monitor came in both DVI and ADC versions, whereas (as far as I know) the 23" has always been ADC-only.

To the original question - is the software on your 15" PowerBook up to date? Apple may have fixed the drivers to run the 22" from your machine since whatever version of the Mac OS you're running.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.