PowerBook G4 Component Name help?

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by macnerd93, Jan 27, 2014.

1. macnerd93, Jan 27, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 27, 2014

macnerd93 macrumors 6502a

macnerd93

Hello,

so I have my PowerBook G4 A1046 2003 15'' model. I am in the process of replacing the screen assembly and I am also replacing the bottom case with a less battered and dented one.

My problem is, however, is that one of the screws on the left side of LCD hinge just keeps turning and turning. Its relatively loose, but it will not unscrew not matter how long I keep turning. So I am unable to remove the LCD from the base of the laptop. The screw just stays loose and spins around no matter which way I turn so looks like the threads for whatever reason have been ruined on that screw.

The display hinges rest on two like metal brackets which sit next to the logic board on the base of the laptop. I am assuming these are what I need to buy to fit into my new bottom case? The thing is I don't know what they are called. This is a photo I found online and I have circled the component I require. Its the "L" shaped looking thing with a piece of metal sticking up slightly in the corner.

Photo is from the internet and so not my PowerBook, I am just using this image to illustrate the component in which I require

Hope someone can help

Attached Files:

2. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

Dab the end of your driver in superglue. Place in screw and hold till dry. Now turn and pull away carefully.

3. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

These or what these screw into??

Attached Files:

4. macnerd93, Jan 27, 2014

macnerd93 thread starter macrumors 6502a

macnerd93

I guess it would be what these screw into

They (in your picture) are just the LCD hinges which are usually attached to the LCD screen assembly. I am looking for the bracket in which these hinges fix into. i'm not bothered about removing the old display if its not necessary since I have a new one coming. As long as I can still remove the logic board, fans and all other stuff etc. for the new bottom case

5. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

The metal plate you've circled should transfer to the new bottom case. Is the actual metal plate damaged?

Sorry for the confusion

6. macnerd93 thread starter macrumors 6502a

macnerd93

I would if I could, but I can't get it out since the screw does not unscrew. I need to know what its called so I can buy a replacement for the new bottom case.

7. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

Hence the hint to remove the screw mate

8. macnerd93 thread starter macrumors 6502a

macnerd93

will that work? I"m not too sure i've already tried pliers and a knife under the edge of the screw and they didn't work jammed solid. I will give it a try in the next week or so & report back

9. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

It's worked for me many times

10. macnerd93 thread starter macrumors 6502a

macnerd93

thank you I will give it a try :D

11. Gav2k, Jan 27, 2014

Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

If that does fail use a dremal multi tool and cut the underside to free the bracket then you can clean it up and reuse.

12. macnerd93 thread starter macrumors 6502a

macnerd93

It didn't work, I had a feeling it wouldn't. It just jammed the screw solid with the glue. I Guess it just leaked down the side fail by me. No matter though, I found out all I needed was a just a new heatsink as the two brackets at either side is just the heat-sink in which the LCD hinges screw into. So I just bought another one for 4.99.

since I cant get the screen detached from the lower case. I may as well sell the old LCD assembly, and lower portion of the case + heatsink on ebay for parts.