PowerBook G4 crash on Software Update

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by teameurox, Aug 25, 2014.

1. teameurox macrumors regular

I recently picked up a PowerBook G4 15" for 15 bucks just to keep at my work when I need to look something up, printopia server, etc. I wiped it upgraded it to leopard ran the update to get it up to 10.5.8 and all was well. Loaded all my software onto it and then ran software update again, which yielded approx 8 or 9 updates to the system (airport utility, java etc.) It installed the updates, restarted and now I have this issue. Upon clicking on software update it will crash with the following log.

Process: Software Update [166]
    Path: /System/Library/CoreServices/Software Update.app/Contents/MacOS/Software Update
    Identifier: com.apple.SoftwareUpdate
    Version: ??? (???)
    Build Info: SoftwareUpdate-1820000~5
    Code Type: PPC (Native)
    Parent Process: launchd [63]

Interval Since Last Report: 801 sec
    Crashes Since Last Report: 1
    Per-App Interval Since Last Report: 0 sec
    Per-App Crashes Since Last Report: 1

Date/Time: 2014-08-25 19:52:13.407 -0400
    OS Version: Mac OS X 10.5.8 (9L31a)
    Report Version: 6
    Anonymous UUID: 9B514856-FE5F-40F3-9062-A0818E63D909

Exception Type: EXC_BREAKPOINT (SIGTRAP)
    Exception Codes: 0x0000000000000001, 0x000000008fe0105c
    Crashed Thread: 0

Dyld Error Message:
    Symbol not found: __ZN3JSC14JSGlobalObject12defineGetterEPNS_9ExecStateERKNS_10IdentifierEPNS_8JSObjectEj
    Referenced from: /System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/JavaScriptGlue.framework/Versions/A/JavaScriptGlue
    Expected in: /System/Library/Frameworks/JavaScriptCore.framework/Versions/A/JavaScriptCore

I've googled this and have yet to find an answer that is applicable to OSX 10.5.8 or PPC. Any ideas as to how one could fix this as I don't like the idea of software update not working, and I would really like to manually fix this rather than wiping and starting from scratch again and not installing the java update.

Thanks you all

2. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

Try reinstalling the 10.5.8 combo update. It won't remove or modify any existing preferences or apps and may solve the problem.

It was suggested to me by Altemose when I had a corrupt Apple boot logo.

3. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

Do you have Leopard Webkit installed? Installing that so that it replaces the build in Webkit engine will cause Software Update to crash.

4. teameurox thread starter macrumors regular

I do in fact have Leopard Webkit installed, I guess I try removing it and see if that solves the problem. The only thing that I found interesting with that is Software Update allowed me to launch, download, and install all the updates with webkit installed. Its just now after the fact that it is causing software update to crash on launch. I'm a newb when it comes to PPC stuff, I joined the apple product line a bit afterwards but I have found the ibooks and the powerbooks fun to tinker with when you can pick them up for next to nothing. I've got my eyes on a G5 2.5 DP right now that might have to be a secondary workstation just because.

I will also download the combo to have on standby