PowerBook G4 dented - Can I fix it with a clamp?

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by Apple!Fre@k, Oct 5, 2008.

1. Apple!Fre@k macrumors 6502a

After 3 years of treating my travel notebook, a PowerBook G4, with extreme care, it has been dented on the left front corner. I was at a small networking conference (only 50 people) where we all know each other (2nd time we all met) and I left my PowerBook unattended for probably 30 minutes, but within eyesight. I didn't find out until I got back to my hotel room, but somehow someone managed to put a nice dent in it right at the left front corner which slightly pushed a small section of the left side, just back from that corner, outwards.

I'm thinking I could use a 13" rubber clamp and tighten the clamp enough to where it would pull the pushed out section back in, but I'm wondering how brittle the metal is that the PowerBook is made out of.

Does anyone know if it will resist the bend back or will crack? I'm curious if anyone has any ideas. I imagine it's made out of aluminum and I'm pretty sure aluminum can resist remolding like that, unless it was treated differently than most aluminum. Anyone know?

Picture attached.

[​IMG]

2. Apple!Fre@k thread starter macrumors 6502a

3. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

It's difficult to get it back to shape. I've tried getting it back, but it never works.

4. Apple!Fre@k thread starter macrumors 6502a

Did you try using a clamp with 900 pounds of pressure? If it will withstand cracking, it has to work.

5. dtklamf macrumors regular

hammer and dolly.

don't know what these things are? then don't try.
    working with sheet metal isn't like origami. you could **** that job up real easily

6. Apple!Fre@k thread starter macrumors 6502a

Somehow I think using a hammer and dolly would do more damage than good. Sure you might be able to repair the outside, but by banging away at the case, what about internal shock damage? Plus, how are you suppose to use a hammer on anything metal and not scratch it?

7. mobilehaathi macrumors G3

mobilehaathi

I'd leave it unless you're an experienced sheet metal worker. Or if you're going to try anyway, at least take out the internal hardware so you don't bork it up.

8. California macrumors 68040

California

I know how you feel. I had mine in zero shock case and it dropped on its side and put a slight veryslight dent in it that only I can see.

If this is a 12" powerbook then just buy a new bottom case for it.

Treat yourself to a full upgrade. Get the top of the line dual layer superdrive and new hard drive with the new bottom case.

9. InLikeALion macrumors 6502a

I'd try it, but ease into the torque carefully. It won't take nearly that amount of force to set it straight. I've fixed several similar dents in the corners of my wife's PB just with just my hands and possibly a straight edge. You'll find that it's tensile strength is unfortunately not that high.

10. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

No I didn't. Good luck.

11. dtklamf macrumors regular

well yeah sheeties would know you use a rubber hammer to start with and covering it with a cloth works and you don't bang away at it such as you'd bang a hooker you tap and coerce it back into position slowly and softly like you're taking a teenagers virginity.

12. zeeklancer macrumors regular

Just WOW.

13. Lightnin Rick macrumors member

If it does not affect any thing I would just leave it alone.

14. CaptainChunk macrumors 68020

CaptainChunk

I wouldn't even try getting that dent out. The sheet metal is so delicate that you'll bend it out of shape even more trying to get it back into shape.

If it bothers you that much, you can buy a new bottom case as mentioned before. It's PITA to do however, because it involves disassembling EVERYTHING.

LOL! Gaffer tape holds the world together, only without sticky residue. ;)

15. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Love the analogy. :p