PowerBook G4 doesn't start up (continues to check the combo drive)

micjan

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 23, 2002
Belgium
Hello,

I own a PowerBook G4, 1,67 and today it wouldn't start up:
Powers on, gongs, checks combo drive, checks combo drive again and again, no flickering or lighting on screen, that's all.
And, sadly, I can't start up in target mode from my external disk (with a bootable backup on it) because the start up behavior in this mode is the same.
Does someone know what's happening here?

Thanks on beforehand for a reply

Jan

bengi

macrumors regular
Jul 21, 2011
Hello,

I own a PowerBook G4, 1,67 and today it wouldn't start up:
Powers on, gongs, checks combo drive, checks combo drive again and again, no flickering or lighting on screen, that's all.
And, sadly, I can't start up in target mode from my external disk (with a bootable backup on it) because the start up behavior in this mode is the same.
Does someone know what's happening here?
Thanks on beforehand for a reply
Jan
have you tinkered with this mac? have you replaced the HD?

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside
Have you tried resetting the PRAM? Have you tried removing the optical drive? What does it do if you put a bootable disc in the optical drive?

micjan

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 23, 2002
Belgium
hey, resetting the pram doesn't work. And I can't put a bootable disk in the computer when he is off, isn't it? Removing the optical drive is indeed the next step I want to do.
I'll feel reassured if it would only be the optical drive that's defective.
Thanks for your reply!

Jan

bengi

macrumors regular
Jul 21, 2011
If you have replaced the HD be aware that the 1.67 requires a specific cable: with cables from previuos versions the symptoms are exactly what you describe.
BTW - does it boot off the OS X Cd/Dvd?

micjan

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 23, 2002
Belgium
I can't put a CD/DVD in the drive if the computer is off.
I didn't replace the HD.
A friend of mine is checking the optical drive now. I'm curious about it ... I hope the problem stops there.

micjan

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 23, 2002
Belgium
The motherboard was defective. They put the hard disk in a second hand PB17" and I can reach my documents again. End of story.