PowerBook G4 download

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by droggo, Aug 17, 2014.

1. droggo, Aug 17, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 17, 2014

droggo macrumors newbie

I have put in a new hard drive and G4 does not want to install software goes to folder for about 2 seconds then grey apple then a grey circle with line thru it. then it just sits there with install disk in, any ideas?

without disk just shows the folder with ? in it then the mac icon back and forth

I have tried holding C down and it just shows the grey apple nothing else.

I am using the PowerBook G4 15-inch and 17-inch software install and restore / install disk

Mac OS version 10.3.2

2. Zotaccian macrumors 6502a

Zotaccian

Is the disc exactly the one that was shipped with the machine or otherwise known to fit for that model (that year model etc.)? If not that might very well be the reason.

3. droggo thread starter macrumors newbie

not sure this was given to my Dad and I am trying to get it running for him.

How can I tell if it matches or which one I would need

4. Zotaccian macrumors 6502a

Zotaccian

Take out the battery, there should be sticker telling about the machine, if there is serial number you could try putting it here: http://www.appleserialnumberinfo.com/Desktop/index.php

Also on the bottom of the machine there should be manufacturing year and model number, like A1024. You can try using those to identify. In addition of CPU speed and original amount of RAM / HDD some ports may give clues, some machines had Mini-VGA and some had Mini-DVI.

Retail OS X disks would fit for sure.

5. simsaladimbamba

This procedure will tell you what PowerBook G4 you have: https://www.ifixit.com/info/ID-your-Mac/216

6. droggo thread starter macrumors newbie

This is what it says

Original OS: - 10.3.3 Panther or 10.4 Tiger.
    Maximum OS: - Mac OS 10.5.8

so I am guessing that the disk I have the Mac OS X will not work

7. simsaladimbamba

Yep, you need at least Mac OS X 10.3.3 on a Retail CD or can try to find a Mac OS X 10.4 Tiger Retail DVD via eBay.