Powerbook G4 fan always running, HD and heatsink REALLY hot

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by zacaj, Apr 26, 2009.

1. zacaj macrumors newbie

I got a Powerbook G4 12" from my cousin, and the hinge was all beat up. The screen wouldnt work, although it did turn on fine(fan running and HD clicking). So we took it apart, and found a broken wire in the hinge, and replaced it, and now it works. But, after using it for a while, the fan was on full blast, and wouldnt turn down. Since it was still apart, we took off the top, and the HD and heatsink were encredibly hot(i probably would have burned my finger if I kept it there long enough). I know that it will get a bit hot, but nothing should be running at that temperature. What could cause this?

2. Warranty Voider macrumors 6502

Try using a compressed air can to blow out any dust that may be blocking the fans. Also, the temperatures can easily get to 80 degrees C (176 degrees F) which can easily burn your skin. Run a temperature monitoring app to see what the actual temp is.

3. clarityg3 macrumors newbie

My 17" MacBook Pro recently started running extremely hot in a matter of moments after starting up. According to iStat Nano 212 degrees and the fan would kick up to more than 6000 rpm. I went through all the options, deleted the startup items, reviewed the activity monitor and so on with no positive results.

I have now resolved the problem ;-) From the System Preferences / Print & Fax pane and I found a print job pending for a printer not on my current network. After deleting the queued print jobs my computer is now running normal again at 128 degrees. Hope this can help someone else.

4. mikes70mustang macrumors 68000

mikes70mustang

FYI-Most go by Celsius not Fahrenheit. It sucks for us standard users i know, but the rest of the world is metric, so it makes sense