PowerBook G4 freezes during update?

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by BaddestArvai, Apr 7, 2014.

1. BaddestArvai macrumors regular

I am trying to update my PowerBook from OS X 10.5.1 to 10.5.8. It keeps freezing at the same point during the update! Do I have a corrupt download? Also, the computer is not overheating. I installed OS X on it yesterday and it had no problems. And that took around an hour or so to install. So is there any way to re-download the update? Because every time it uses the same one that has already been downloaded. Will I have to re-install Leopard?

2. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

It takes a very long time for a G4 to install the 10.5.8 update. In some cases, a few hours. Best to let it go. If you've stopped an installation of the 10.5.8 update, reinstall 10.5.1 on a blank disc and start over.

3. BaddestArvai thread starter macrumors regular

Alright! I will re-install Leopard and try again! I have stopped the install many times...

4. DeltaMac macrumors 604

DeltaMac

Here's how I do that combined update for Leopard:
    Download the combined updater (I don't use Software Update for this, but download the updater separately from http://support.apple.com/kb/DL866 )
    Open that download, then, restart your Mac into Safe Boot mode. And then run the updater. As Intell says, it may take a long time to complete, anywhere from 30 minutes, to a couple of hours, so just wait it out. Believe me - you will see "2 minutes remaining" for much longer than 2 minutes! Don't open other apps, or do other tasks, until after the update has completed, and you have restarted your updated Mac. And, run Software Update then, to pick up your other updates (2 or 3 more times until there's no more available.)

5. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

Almost every installer has a log. Go to the View menu in the installer and select to view the log. Another window will come up with a popup menu that says Errors Only. Click on that and select to show Errors and Progress.

You can watch the installer do it's thing and you have a live indicator of exactly what is happening. Unlike the progress bar which will just sit there. Doing this has saved me several times from prematurely aborting an upgrade, update or install when the installer "appeared" to be frozen.