PowerBook G4 HDD Swap Help

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by CountMaxMore, Mar 15, 2015.

1. CountMaxMore macrumors member

CountMaxMore

I am upgrading hard drives in my PowerBook G4 from a 80 Gb to a 240 Gb and I do not want to lose any of my information how do I duplicate the info from my 80 Gb to the new hard drive. What I was thinking about doing was firewire my Powerbook with the 80 gb hard drive in it to my imac and copy and paste the entire harddrive into the desktop then put the new hd in my mac firewire it again then format the hdd using the imac then drop and drag the info from the old hdd into the new one would this work?

2. CountMaxMore thread starter macrumors member

CountMaxMore

Im just trying to clone my hdd any suggestions?

3. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

Buy a cheap hard drive enclosure (they are usually less than $20), put the new drive in the enclosure and connect it to the Mac with the drive you want to copy.

Download and use either Carbon Copy Cloner or SuperDuper (both apps are free to use). Clone the drive. When done, disconnect the enclosure, shut down and then swap drives.

The method you are proposing to try will not work. There are permissions involved that don't get transferred when copying (you will even be told you cannot copy some files) and the drive will not be 'blessed' for booting.

4. Gamer9430 macrumors 68020

Gamer9430

That should work... Just make sure that you use Disk Utility on your iMac and make a disk image of the PB, don't just copy and paste the hard drive. After you put the new one in, use disk utility on your iMac again to restore the image to the new hard drive while its in TDM.

5. MatthewLTL macrumors 68000

MatthewLTL

You can use Carbon Copy Cloner, FireWire the PB to the iMac, Make a image of the 80GB HDD (everything on it) than put the new HDD into the PB and uses CCC to copy it all back onto the new HDD. Simple as that and should be done in about 2 hours or less

EDIT: The above 2 posts are good too, They were not there as i was typing mine.

6. drewsof07 macrumors 68000

drewsof07

7. MatthewLTL macrumors 68000

MatthewLTL

I should add that (obviously) you need to 1st format the new HDD to Apple Partition Map and Apple Journaled file system before you transfer your data to it.