PowerBook G4 Help

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by noj, May 2, 2007.

1. noj macrumors newbie

I'm not sure if this is the correct forum or not, but it said general/basic help so i'll try anyway. Sorry if it's not.

i must say that im new to the world of MAC's, my PowerBook G4 (12inch) was my first taste of mac computing, and i must say that it's won me over.

However, im having major technical problems with my G4 which render it almsot useless. I have no Tech Plan coverage and at this point i dont think its worth it to spend too much money to invest in repairing it. So i figured i'd ask here on the forums ( visist the site frequently).

About a year ago my G4 had an accident, it pushed off of a table (small children). Suffered a dent by the power connecter, however it still works and functions. Cd-Rom makes a minor grinding, however works no problems.

After about 6 months the real problem started to occur. When booting, i'd get a folder with a question mark in it, or a circle with a slash through it. Sometimes it would work normal as well. Figuring it was an HDD issue, i purchased a new hard disk, and replaced the 'thought to be' defective one. Reassembled and the system worked perfect good as new. about a month went along and the same problem happened again. Basicly i randomly get a circle with a slash in it when i try to boot up (system also locks up if coming out of stabdby/hibernation). OSX successfully loads approximately only 40% of the time. To get it to work, i usually have to *shake* the laptop or hold it upside down and tap it, sometimes it loads successfully when i try this.

Any suggestions any of you could possibly offer on what the problem could be and a ways to fix it would greatly be apprecited... as i'd like to hold on until leopard to purchase a new mac.

2. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

3. noj thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes, i have. I've also run, numerous times, the apple hardware test.. which *if* it detects the HDD, it verifies and tests successfully all the time. other times when it asks to select the media to diagnose... my HDD doesnt show in the list. its as if its jsut not recognizing that theres a harddrive connected.

4. California macrumors 68040

California

Did you doublecheck the internal connectors on the logic board from the hard drive?

At the worst, I'd plug in a firewire drive and boot from that and see how it works.

Do you have the sudden motion sensor on the powerbook or is it an earlier model?

5. shu82 macrumors 6502a

shu82

It sounds like the ribbon cable that connects the HD to the Logic board is either loosely seated or shorted out. That would explain the "shaking" you have to do. It should be a cheap part to try out.

6. noj thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes, i have the SMS, it's the latest revision of the G4 before the core duo's were introduced.

from what i've seen the ribbon is secure, but i'll have to try a replacement ribbon... hopefully that fixes it.