Powerbook G4 in House again :-D with Issues!

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by Kaiserbuch1701, Apr 13, 2018.

1. Kaiserbuch1701 macrumors newbie

Kaiserbuch1701

Hello! I am fortunate enough to hold a PowerBook in my hands!
    The condition is surprisingly good for old age. Some Scratches on the Case an one on the Screen, but anyways: its an 15" G4 DLSD /HR-AI :-D :-D.

On occasion, the hard drive of 80GB is exchanged for a larger one.

What makes me wonder are the differences in temperature for the GPU? istats varies between 88 ° C and 98 ° C. g4fan but indicates "normal" temperatures? Only a short moment when starting the program, it shows absurd data like 225 ° C .. The fans are running normally. The thermal paste I wanted to renew anyway ... Could this possibly be due to defective sensors?

Furthermore, I noticed that when the PowerBook goes into standby, the Powercord LED changes from green to orange and then back to green for a fraction of a second ... I do not know that from my old powerbook.

The PRAM battery has been renewed by the previous owner. See defective, broken screw! :-(

Maybe someone has an idea?

My macbook Air 1th gene will first dust up unused ;-)! Is much louder anyway and I can now use PPC programs on original hardware.

Thank you all in advance for your support. image.jpg Bild 1.png image_2.jpg

2. AphoticD macrumors 68000

AphoticD

I would interpret those readings as is. It’s not uncommon for a GPU to run up around 85-90C if thermal paste is not properly applied.

The GPU takes quite a lot of thermal paste on this model. Maybe the paste wasn’t adequately applied on the last repair or wasn’t renewed at all. The CPU temps reported are very good.

When you pull the logic board out you’ll see both the CPU and GPU cool plates on the heatsink covered with the old paste. Clean them both up with Isopropyl Alcohol and apply new thermal paste. I would recommmend a German product called Grizzly Kryonaut. It’s a little pricey, but does a great job and is non-conductive.

The GPU takes a big X of paste, while the CPU will only need a drop about the size of a grain of rice, then spread across the CPU die / heat spreader.

Try to avoid running it until you’ve done this. The DLSD 15” is a great PowerPC portable and it would be a shame to see it overheat and fail

(I recently acquired a 15” DLSD myself with a failing display, which I am in the process of repairing).

3. Kaiserbuch1701 thread starter macrumors newbie

Kaiserbuch1701

Thx for your commend. I now have replaced the thermal paste and upgraded to an larger harddrive.
    My thoughts where to install Tiger and Leopard on two partitions. After fresch installs and updates, nothing changed on the GPU temperature seen in iStats 3.19. i do PRAM Reset. SMC Reset and also the command in Open Firmware. Nothing changed. The Powerbook runs fine, without any issus, but the high GPU shown in iStats. Maybee its a wrong sensor, or the istats install failed to install correct sensor drivers... it stops with an Error.

After 4h on power and after all playing 2 Movies (DVDs) it runs fine...

So, i will conclude, its maybee an fault of istats or an SensorError!?

How does your repair is going?

4. AphoticD macrumors 68000

AphoticD

It sounds like it could be a sensor issue then. If you've renewed the paste and the machine doesn't feel like it's running hot then it should be okay. You can also try running Apple Service Diagnostics (ASD) version 2.6.3 to run tests on the hardware to confirm. Search on these forums for the download links to the ISO and username/password combo to download.

For my repair, I am waiting on CCFL tubes to arrive from China to replace a broken backlight. There is also issues with the horizontal LC ICs causing image corruption which I'll try resolving once the backlight arrives. Worst case scenario, if I can't repair it, I think I'll just take the display (with new backlight) from my 1.5Ghz AlBook and install it in the DLSD. It won't be "hi res", but it should work fine.

5. Kaiserbuch1701 thread starter macrumors newbie

Kaiserbuch1701

Thx again, powerbook is downloading ISO an i will test it out. The Powerbook is "normal hot" .... as i remember on to my old 17" inch DLSD ;-)

So, if it luckely is just an faulty Sensor, i can live with this problem. But we will see.

I cross the fingers for your repair! Hope the parts will arrive soon! :-D