Powerbook G4 is really hot and doesn't turn on, help?

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by Flight3, Jul 31, 2009.

1. Flight3 macrumors newbie

It just started getting really hot quickly for about a week before it didn't turn on. I would have it tilted so that its not flat, hoping that it would give it more air but it didn't do anything. I don't even need to do much to get it really hot. And I shut it off every night, so it should get to reset itself. I haven't done anything different that I haven't before. Any fixes please!? Also what's really weird is that it gets hotter and hotter even when it is off and not even plugged in. :confused:

2. fr0 macrumors member

Hrm. Sometimes my old machine would go into sleep mode, but not really. It would be unresponsive and RED HOT. I usually discovered this after a long walk to school. I'd also have a seriously depleted battery. I can't say I have a fix for you, but if your machine is not plugged in and getting hotter then it sounds like a failure to properly sleep. Just hold the power button down for about 10 seconds to turn the machine off. After that just start it back up. In my case I believe it was a faulty bluetooth module that was waking the computer up from sleep every time it disconnected/reconnected (it connects via an internal USB connection). I just disconnected the cable and that eliminated the problem.

Note: If you hold the power button down to shut it off you will lose any unsaved work, but by this theory your machine has already crashed, so it's probably lost anyway :D

Good luck!

fr0

3. Flight3 thread starter macrumors newbie

It seems that the battery may have been a big part in the problem. Once I switched batteries, it wasn't hot anymore. Then I did some looking around and performed the single user boot, and with the fsck code it fixed the problem. I'm really happy right now:D:D. Hey do you have any suggestions on how to keep it cool? I know not to put it on soft surfaces, I'm thinking software like G4 fan control (but don't know how to use it), or maybe even a cooling pad.:

4. airplaneman macrumors 6502a

iCyclone might work.

5. MultiFinder17 macrumors 68000

MultiFinder17

I use a cheap little cooling pad I got somewhere for around $10 on my PowerBook, and it works great. The internal fan rarely has to come on :)