Resolved Powerbook G4 keyboard issues

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by reddrag0n, Nov 26, 2011.

1. reddrag0n, Nov 26, 2011
    Last edited: Nov 26, 2011

reddrag0n macrumors 6502

reddrag0n

Since i got my PB used, i have noticed that the left arrow (Home) doesn't work. All the rest of the keys work, but not that one. Then later today i noticed that when i loaded into OS X, the whole keyboard went wonky. It's like the left arrow goes into hyper drive and i can't stop it unless i press the ESC key, then the left arrow doesn't work again. Then in around 5 to 10 min, it does the same thing. From what i gather i may have to replace the keyboard.

Has anyone else come across this anomaly before?

I have tried an external keyboard, but that does the same thing too. I even tried to reset the pram using option+command+p+r but it just bypasses all of that and boots into OS X.

2. adcx64 macrumors 65816

adcx64

Try disconnecting the internal keyboard and see if the problem persists with the external one. Make sure the connector is seated on the logic board when you plug it back in. Is there any dirt or debris under the key? Hopefully it is not the keyboard controller on the logic board.

3. reddrag0n thread starter macrumors 6502

reddrag0n

Well, just took the key and the scissor plastic piece off and took my flathead on my knife and slid it over the trace with a little force. now it works like it should, so far no issues, but i will see in a few days if this goes on again.

but right now, it works. I have a left arrow again and it's not acting up.

4. adcx64 macrumors 65816

adcx64

5. reddrag0n thread starter macrumors 6502

reddrag0n

So far it's behaving like it should. It looks like it was a lifted trace that wasn't making contact or that it was making intermittent contact. So forcing the contact trace down made it so it makes permanent contact until the key is pressed was the idea. Like i said, so far it works.