PowerBook G4 lag problem

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by macintoshxiii, Jul 19, 2008.

1. macintoshxiii macrumors regular

macintoshxiii

My PowerBook G4 is coming 3 years old and recently it has problem such as Volume Disabled, Slow Connectivity etc. And the main important thing is it opens up program very slowly and something it hangs. And my mail has problem sending out, usually it takes less than a couple of seconds but this time it takes overnight and something it doesn't even send! I seriously have no idea of how can I diagnose the problem. Even my dashboard has problem to start up as quickly as before. Can anyone help? Does anyone encounter such problem???

My PB is G4 running at 1.6Ghz, OSX 10.5.4 with 1.5 Gb of DDR SDRam. Thank you.

2. merl1n macrumors 65816

merl1n

What do you mean "Volume Disabled"? What volume?

Launch Activity Monitor and look at the CPU usage. If you see processes such as syslogd and mount_hfs running (and taking a lot of CPU) than this would cause the slowdown and lag as syslogd is writing error messages constantly to the system log and mount_hfs is continually trying to mount the "disabled volume". This will slowdown your system to a crawl.

Run Disk Utility and try to repair the "disabled volume" or disk. If this is an external disk, disconnect it and reboot. See if your system starts acting normally.

3. agentphish macrumors 65816

agentphish

Have you ever done a full format and reinstall of everything...It may be a good idea to consider backing up your stuff, and then wiping your drive and reinstalling tiger.

4. aross99 macrumors 68000

aross99

Any chance you are out of disk space, or very low? Do a CMD-I on your hard drive, and check out available disk space...