Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

128keaton

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jan 13, 2013
Hello! I bought a fully loaded m5884 (512mb, airport card, 500MHZ) but it doesn't want to turn on, like it isn't getting power. This is the same adaptor I use on my iBook, so its a good adaptor. Any suggestions?

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
Hello! I bought a fully loaded m5884 (512mb, airport card, 500MHZ) but it doesn't want to turn on, like it isn't getting power. This is the same adaptor I use on my iBook, so its a good adaptor. Any suggestions?
You want a 65W adapter. Is the one you have 65W?

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
Things to try.

1. Pull the battery out and try to boot (with charger plugged in)
2. Reset PMU
3. Pull battery and let Mac sit on charger for a few hours

128keaton

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jan 13, 2013
Things to try.

1. Pull the battery out and try to boot
2. Reset PMU
3. Pull battery and let Mac sit on charger for a few hours

Thanks! But I had to remove the PRAM battery, since it died. Booting now! EDIT: It has 10.4.11, 500MHz, 512MB of RAM. This mac is a small rocket with a high-res screen.

Last edited:

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
Thanks! But I had to remove the PRAM battery, since it died. Booting now! EDIT: It has 10.4.11, 500MHz, 512MB of RAM. This mac is a small rocket with a high-res screen.
Cool, glad it boots. The reason I was suggesting pulling the battery was to drive a charge to the PRAM battery. It's been my experience that if the PRAM battery goes flat the TiBooks will fail to boot up.

In any case, yeah, these are fast Macs.

128keaton

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jan 13, 2013
Cool, glad it boots. The reason I was suggesting pulling the battery was to drive a charge to the PRAM battery. It's been my experience that if the PRAM battery goes flat the TiBooks will fail to boot up.

In any case, yeah, these are fast Macs.

Boots fully to desktop in ~20secs before cleaning the HD (1GB free). According to the photos and such, this machine was used until 2011. Also, this keyboard is amazing! I'm posting from it right now from Safari on Tiger. I might try T4F, since your rave on it earlier. Thanks for the tip, I plugged the PRAM battery back in and it works again, gonna see if it saves the date after the reboot.

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside
Tibook, I think it's Tibooks, have a neat ability where they can be put to sleep and once asleep the main battery can be removed and a new one put in. The PRAM battery keeps the ram contents until the main battery is reinstalled. I don't know how long the PRAM battery will keep the system sleeping.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
Tibook, I think it's Tibooks, have a neat ability where they can be put to sleep and once asleep the main battery can be removed and a new one put in. The PRAM battery keeps the ram contents until the main battery is reinstalled. I don't know how long the PRAM battery will keep the system sleeping.
The AlBooks have that too, at least the 17" models do. I've never tested a 15" as I don't own one and I'm not sure if the 12" AlBooks do it.

But, I've pulled battery after sleeping my 17" PBs several times and swapped them out. They woke right back up from sleep when I opened the lid and continued on.

Altemose

macrumors G3
Mar 26, 2013
Elkton, Maryland
The AlBooks have that too, at least the 17" models do. I've never tested a 15" as I don't own one and I'm not sure if the 12" AlBooks do it.

But, I've pulled battery after sleeping my 17" PBs several times and swapped them out. They woke right back up from sleep when I opened the lid and continued on.

I wish I could test this but my PowerBooks have dead PRAM batteries.

128keaton

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jan 13, 2013
I wish I could test this but my PowerBooks have dead PRAM batteries.

My PRAM battery works, I put it back in after a while. It keeps time and everything, I can't try the battery thing, and due to some issues with the parents, this is the last PPC machine I'll buy, and I cannot buy anymore parts either.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
…and due to some issues with the parents, this is the last PPC machine I'll buy, and I cannot buy anymore parts either.
Oh man, that sucks. Totally been there dude, and I feel for you. Whatever it is, hope it works out.

128keaton

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jan 13, 2013
Oh man, that sucks. Totally been there dude, and I feel for you. Whatever it is, hope it works out.

According to them, I cannot split the money between two hobbies, so yeah. Also, everytime it sleeps it actually charges the battery for a bit, or it has something to do with me filling with the latch (probably). Also, any suggestions for a battery latch that doesnt eject the battery without a screwdriver? Its kinda odd.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
According to them, I cannot split the money between two hobbies, so yeah. Also, everytime it sleeps it actually charges the battery for a bit, or it has something to do with me filling with the latch (probably). Also, any suggestions for a battery latch that doesnt eject the battery without a screwdriver? Its kinda odd.
Sorry, no ideas about the latch. My problem was always worrying that my battery was going to fall out. Had that happen once when I was moving the Mac at Starbucks right as a barista brought me my drink. Made a nice smacking sound on the tile and got everyone's attention. Not that I wanted attention right then! :rolleyes:

128keaton

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jan 13, 2013
Sorry, no ideas about the latch. My problem was always worrying that my battery was going to fall out. Had that happen once when I was moving the Mac at Starbucks right as a barista brought me my drink. Made a nice smacking sound on the tile and got everyone's attention. Not that I wanted attention right then! :rolleyes:
Hmm, it only charges when I sleep. Odd, well atliest it charges.

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside
If it only charges when it sleeps, then the power adapter is likely the wrong wattage for it.

128keaton

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jan 13, 2013
If it only charges when it sleeps, then the power adapter is likely the wrong wattage for it.

65W, which is the apple replacement adaptor wattage for this machine. The original adaptor wattage is 45W (which I don't have).
I got it to 100% last night and then I unplugged it, went down to 0% in 5 mins, gonna do some battery 'cycling' on it to see if I can get it better. After running some updates and disabling spotlight, the machine boots really slow. Is my HD dying, its pretty fast otherwise?

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
65W, which is the apple replacement adaptor wattage for this machine. The original adaptor wattage is 45W (which I don't have).
I got it to 100% last night and then I unplugged it, went down to 0% in 5 mins, gonna do some battery 'cycling' on it to see if I can get it better. After running some updates and disabling spotlight, the machine boots really slow. Is my HD dying, its pretty fast otherwise?
Just curious. Have you doublechecked the wattage? By that I mean, open System Profiler and click on the Power section. It should tell you the wattage there that the Mac is reading. If it's 65W then that's confirmation and it's probably just the battery.

I've learned to doublecheck. I got one adapter off eBay once advertised as 65W, but System Profiler kept telling me it was 45W. Two returns later I just asked for a refund because the adapters they kept sending me were STILL 45W only.

I've had other adapters do the same, even though they are marked as 65W on the case.

128keaton

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jan 13, 2013
Just curious. Have you doublechecked the wattage? By that I mean, open System Profiler and click on the Power section. It should tell you the wattage there that the Mac is reading. If it's 65W then that's confirmation and it's probably just the battery.

I've learned to doublecheck. I got one adapter off eBay once advertised as 65W, but System Profiler kept telling me it was 45W. Two returns later I just asked for a refund because the adapters they kept sending me were STILL 45W only.

I've had other adapters do the same, even though they are marked as 65W on the case.

Huh, thats weird. It reports AC Charger (watts): 0, and AC adaptor cannot charge battery: Yes.
Any suggestions? On my last PowerBook G4, it charged the battery fine.

EDIT: I hope it isn't the DC In-board, but it might be the charger. Either way, I'm screwed since I can't buy a new one.

Last edited:

128keaton

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jan 13, 2013
What does it report if you connect the iBook's charger?

This IS the iBook's charger. Its a universal one, Chinese replacement, its actually the same one mseth has for his 12" PowerBook. Also, I put my chin on the palm rest and it gave me a shock (I was checking to see if my keyboard smelled).

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside
The shock is cause by not using a grounded three prong cord with the charger. Do you have another charger to try it with?

128keaton

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jan 13, 2013
The shock is cause by not using a grounded three prong cord with the charger. Do you have another charger to try it with?

Ah, thought so, and no if you read up further, you'll realize why. I wish I did. Anyone have a spare that you are willing to ship to me for free :D?

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
Huh, thats weird. It reports AC Charger (watts): 0, and AC adaptor cannot charge battery: Yes.
Any suggestions? On my last PowerBook G4, it charged the battery fine.

EDIT: I hope it isn't the DC In-board, but it might be the charger. Either way, I'm screwed since I can't buy a new one.
I bet it's the DC in. I've had them break like this before. The Mac will take power, but it won't charge the battery, or if it does it's very, very slow.

I'm sorry, if I had a spare, I'd send you one, but I've got two Macs myself that need chargers so I don't have any to give you.

128keaton

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jan 13, 2013
I bet it's the DC in. I've had them break like this before. The Mac will take power, but it won't charge the battery, or if it does it's very, very slow.

I'm sorry, if I had a spare, I'd send you one, but I've got two Macs myself that need chargers so I don't have any to give you.

Figured, I guess I will have to take a charger to Starbucks. If anyone has a spare working DC In-board for a powerbook Titanium, I'll take it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.