Powerbook G4 --> Macbook = upgrade?

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by runner3, Dec 1, 2006.

  1. runner3 macrumors newbie

    Dec 1, 2006
    Northern CA
    Hey everyone, my name is Jon and I'm new to this forum so this is my first post! I have a question for those of you might have been in my position.

    Here it is: I'm currently using a Powerbook G4 15" and I'm thinking about ditching it for a black Macbook (max RAM, 160 GB HD).

    My concerns:

    Smaller screen; would the difference in size be something I can get used to?

    PB resell value; closed eBay auctions show that I probably won't get much over $1200, even for a mint condition PB. How much more do you think Office 2003 (Student Ed.) and Adobe CS2 (not just Photoshop) will bump it up?

    Is there a noticable difference in speed?

    Originally I wanted to go for the 15" MBP, but really I can't justify the ~$800 price difference (in the config I would have gotten) in something that won't be my primary machine. The Man (my university) is making us all use tablet PCs.

    What do you guys think? Thanks for any input.
  2. clevin macrumors G3


    Aug 6, 2006
    1, screen size isn't really bother me that much, high resolution in MB can have more content, and looks better.
    2. there are the benchmarks, MB is much better in many areas compare to G4 iBook http://www.macworld.com/2006/11/reviews/13inmacbookcore2/index.php

    of course, if your iBook G4 is working fine, you really dont need to update it just for the sake of update.
  3. MattyMac macrumors 68000


    Oct 6, 2005
    Honestly...I dont think you will be happy with the macbook coming from a 15in. Powerbook. I am a 12in. PB owner and purchased my mother a macbook...I still like my PB better. Don't get me wrong, the macbook is very nice, especially the black, but I dont think it is worth switching your PB for it unless you absolutely need it. You definietly won't be happy with the screen, it will be awkward compared to your PB and the bezel around the macbook screen is wierd too...very thick and wide. Wait a bit, see what apple comes out with next. I know you may be bored with your current set up, but is it really worth $800 dollars. In a few weeks, I think you will regret your purchase. Now on the other hand if you were switching from an ibook or something, I would say go for it.

    Just my opinion.
  4. jonharris200 macrumors 6502


    Feb 25, 2006
    London, UK
    Hi Jon aka Runner3, welcome to MacRumors!

    Seems we're kindred spirits - I have a PowerBook G4 17" which I want to put on eBay and upgrade to a black MacBook too.

    Personally, I'm waiting until Leopard is released next year. It will be great to have the new OS obviously, but also the Spaces feature will mean that even with a 13" screen, there will be effectively a lot more screen size available at the flick of a shortcut key.

    When I sell my PowerBook, I'm also going to add in a few extras to try and make it a nice deal and sell for more: I have an external iSight, Tiger OS with discs and rucksack - might be an idea to do something similar?

    Regarding speed, depending on what processor you've got, you'll probably notice the difference - but it will be most obvious if you can afford more RAM and are using Universal applications.

    Keep us in touch with your progress!

  5. #5
    if you need the power now, get it now, if not wait for the updates such as leopard, and possibly faster frontside bus, real wireless N cards etc. but if you can't wait, heres teh simple: graphics won't be quite as good as your powerbook, the screen will seem smaller, but it will be WAY faster compared to a G4 im assuming you have a 1.67. i've used a powerbook 15" g4 1.67 quite a bit, my teachers notebook, and ive used a friends core duo macbook (not even as fast as the new ones) and i must say, even with the 1.5gb of ram vs the 1gb in the black macbook, the macbook beat it by a lot for processing power and speed. the macbooks will be much zippier

Share This Page