Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Knapman

macrumors member
Original poster
May 16, 2006
So I bought a 15" powerbook G4 last week, the guy told me about a screen problem that when he was on airplanes or driving in the car using it the screen would flicker when he went over bumps or turbulence. I didn't really think of it as much, but once i bought it i realized that it was kind of annoying, it usually happens every time I adjust the screen, and then I have to move it back and fourth to get it to go away.

What happens is hard to describe but usually there is white/black covering half of the screen kind of like a flicker but it stays most of the time until you ajust the screen angle...

Does anyone have any idea what is wrong with my Powerbook? :(

minicoop503

macrumors regular
Feb 11, 2008
Well, the only reason I would think of is a problem with the connection from the screen to the motherboard. You could try opening it up and seeing if the cable is damaged or the connection is loose, which would cause your problem because if it was loose, and it got shaken, it would lose the connection.

Knapman

macrumors member
Original poster
May 16, 2006
Ok, my dad also thought the same. I have experience building pc's but not really with laptops. How hard is this thing to open up? Any does anyone have a link to a good tutorial, or any personal experience they want to share?

Thanks for the help so far :D

Knapman

macrumors member
Original poster
May 16, 2006
I've replaced nearly everything on a PB G4, and I can assure you it's no easy task, but if you exercise patience and take your time it's not so bad.

Good guide:

http://www.powerbookmedic.com/xcart1/files/G4aluminum15.pdf

Thank you, looks very helpful. Do i need any of those screwdrivers mentioned ( the weird hex ones) to replace the cable? And is there anyway to see if it is damaged by just opening it up and not replacing it?

Thanks again.

Neil

Knapman

macrumors member
Original poster
May 16, 2006
On an unrelated note.

My adaptor doesnt work anymore. I hope I just did something dumb, because I unplugged it, carried it and my PB to my room and now when I plug it in it doesnt work. Tried it in two outlets, one which I was using minutes ago.

:eek:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.