Powerbook G4 Newbie Issues [Mac Os X 10.3.9]

Discussion in 'macOS' started by reesently, Jun 9, 2011.

1. reesently macrumors newbie

Hi,

I used to have a G5 that was stolen, so a friend of mine donated his old G4 to me... I thought I knew Macs pretty well, but using this older version has shown me just how "mac inept" I am, lol!

So, I need help with the following and any advice would be helpful and greatly appreciated. The processor is 1.33 GHz PowerPC G4; The memory is 768 MB DDR SDRAM; Boot Rom 4.8.3f1

I do not have a lot of apps, so I am not eating up memory etc. I am currently unable to update to Tiger, Leopard, or Lion. So the goal is to have Panther be as efficient as possible and to have a healthy laptop. The issues I'm cognizant of are:

I'm unable to leave comments on my facebook; the chat app is consistently inaccesible; I can not view videos or media---- I believe this is a flash player issue. I have downloaded Adobe Flash 9 archive, unzipped it, etc and now what? I do not know. So there is both, a debugger and flasher player folder on my desktop that I do not know how to install as previously it would've been automatic.

Leading to Youtube/Vimeo- I can not view videos and am told my software is outdated. What to do, what to do?

Divx, Skype, etc. I've attempted to download upgrades to watch hulu and other media to no avail. I get crash reports or a message that says it can't mount. I downloaded a Mount Me software and it was futile as it downloaded but didn't work. This has been a theme... I've downloaded various files from CNET that indicate compatibility with 10.3.9 and if they do fully download and mount, when I click on them I get a bounce and no further acknowledgment that is even exists, albeit visually lol!

I am not getting proper reads on battery charge either. Often while in the middle of anything, it will say I have 30 mins remaining and 2 secs later it fades to black. EVEN if it is plugged in, it'll die- do I need a new power cord or battery or possibly both. With my old Mac, if it was plugged in it never died. Now it will die and takes minimally 2 hrs before it will charge up enough to allow me to power up.

Outside of those, I like to know what I can download for maintenance and repair; a "working" internet phone app; and a program I can use to unzip files from pc to mac

At any rate, I think that covers my mac anti-christ, I mean computer and I'd like to thank everyone for the advice in advance and feel VERY glad I was able to come across this site and forum!

~Reese

2. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

Let us begin at the beginning:

Are you trying to upgrade via Software Update or are you using a grey DVD?

Is so, then neither strategy will work. If you want to upgrade your OS to Leopard, then you must secure a retail distribution DVD of Leopard [with a big black X) printed on it.

3. reesently thread starter macrumors newbie

Beginning at the beginning

As previously stated, I'm not seeking to upgrade to Tiger, Leopard, or Lion. I just want my Panther to work to the best of its ability. When clicking Software Updates, it states that all of my software is up to date. However, I continue to experience the issues stated :(