PowerBook G4, poor wi fi?

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by tchaap, Nov 24, 2007.

1. tchaap macrumors member

PowerBook G4, 1.5ghz, 2gb ram, 80gb HD, Superdrive

It shows I have the AirPort Extreme card installed.

Problem, I get poor(slow performance on my home wifi) and in some areas I get no signal or drop the signal. On my PC laptops I get good signal and fairly good speed.

Using a Linksys wirless 2.4ghz wireless G router.

Could my wireless card need replacing? If I get a wireless N router will the airport extreme card pull the N?

Thanks,
    TChaap

2. CRAZYBUBBA macrumors 65816

CRAZYBUBBA

I have the same computer. Your pcs likely also have wireless 'g' not 'n', I suspect that you are behind a series of concrete walls.

3. tchaap thread starter macrumors member

No concrete walls.
    Yes, the other pc's are wireless G as well...which makes sense because I have a wirelss G router.

My question is...
    My PC's get good performance and my powerbook does not. Could I or should I replace the wireless card?

TC

4. CRAZYBUBBA macrumors 65816

CRAZYBUBBA

I think this is where I'm lost. I have top of the line pcs with wireless 'g' which don't get reception where the powerbook does. People in my family generally recognize that the powerbook is the best at picking up wireless.

In this respect it appears that our experiences are opposite.

Strangely enough, i usually use wireless 2 levels above the router, which is to say in between several large slabs of concrete and steel.

5. tchaap thread starter macrumors member

Yep, that is why I am confused as well.
    Friend brought his MB over and it pulled a great signal. That is why I wonder if need to replace my card.

Thanks,
    TC

6. CRAZYBUBBA macrumors 65816

CRAZYBUBBA

Don't replace it. Your wireless does work right? I've never heard of a card dying a slow death of this type. Maybe it's coming lose. Does airport randomly shut off?

7. andiwm2003 macrumors 601

andiwm2003

i have the same PB. wifi reception always was weak compared to my PC notebook or my e-mac or any other computer i compared it to. it's one of the bad things about the Alu powerbook.

i'm afraid there is not much you can do.

8. NC MacGuy macrumors 603

NC MacGuy

Alum. PB's always had poor reception. It was a known issue and was somewhat rectified in the alum. MBP line. The MB's have great reception - plastic. The antennae is wrapped around front of PB which they eventually changed in MBP.

9. tchaap thread starter macrumors member

10-4...I guess I'll save a few bucks and get a MB

Thanks for the responses.

TC

10. kflook macrumors member

Just thought I would add to this. My aluminum PowerBook only gets half the signal of what my old PowerBook G3 "Pismo" did from across the house. I do think that it's just the way the G4 was made.

11. notjustjay macrumors 603

notjustjay

Yeah, my brother's MacBook beat the pants off my PowerBook's wireless reception. One time my brother and I were looking for hotspots. My PowerBook showed a single wireless network... maybe... sometimes. And when I could connect, it was one bar -- barely enough to register an IP address, but not enough to actually do anything. Not that it would stay connected long enough anyway -- signal was too weak.

My brother opened up his MacBook and said, oh look, here's 8 different wireless networks! And he picked one, got a strong signal, and was able to surf like he does at home.

I was jealous.

12. Kamikaze macrumors member

Aluminum has an affect on it too. My iBook and old MB kicked my PB and MBP's butt with great signal.