PowerBook G4 Pram board

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by NoodleAldwych, Oct 21, 2013.

1. NoodleAldwych, Oct 21, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 25, 2013

NoodleAldwych macrumors newbie

Hello there. I haven't used a Mac since University (LC-II/System 7) but have recently saved and old PB G5 [edit: I mean G4] 15" 1.5 GHz model from being thrown out, and i thought I'd see what I could do with it, and generally play.

Had to buy a fake-Apple PSU, fine. But seemed dead. No response at all from power button. After a complete disassembly (mainly for fun) I found that it won't do anything unless I disconnect the Pram board (that sits on the DVD drive). *If* I do this *And* I unplug the PSU for a second since the last shutdown, it will start reliably.

Has anyone seen this behaviour? The Pram battery seems to hold charge (at least it's reporting about 4V).

I tried some Ctl-Option-P-R combinations I read about, no change.

(BTW, all of the above is with the main battery removed)

Any advice welcome. Thanks!

2. tampasteve macrumors 6502

The unit must be a Powerbook G4, Apple did not make a G5 laptop. It sounds like you have made great headway.This may seem kind of obvious from your troubleshooting, but this is what I would do:

1. Install the main battery, let it charge to full. Restart and see if it works.

if that does not work:

2. Remove the PRAM battery. Insert the charged main battery, restart and see if it works. If it does then you need a new PRAM battery or maybe a new PRAM board.

3. NoodleAldwych thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for your comment, and yes of course I meant G4 not G5. :eek: