Powerbook G4 Problem Boot

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by timbalada, Jan 16, 2014.

1. timbalada macrumors newbie

Hello my Powerbook G4 is not booting to install Mac OS 10.4 to insert the CD it hangs on the blue screen and the pointer does not move.

[​IMG]
    imag

The original system is working all OK I just want format the not

2. ifrit05 macrumors regular

ifrit05

Try booting the install disc in verbose mode by holding the "command/Apple"-"V" keys after selecting the disc in the boot menu.

i.e. Hold down the "alt/option" key as soon as you boot the PowerBook, then after a bit click on the install disc, and as soon as you click the icon hold the "Command/apple" and "v" keys down until the Apple logo goes away and the screen turns black.

By doing this you may see any/all errors that might be causing the hang listed. Just make sure you read the lines quickly as they may list out fast.

3. MrPilot macrumors 6502

I had the same issue with the powerbook A1138 I believe it's called. It's the last 1,67Ghz before they switched to intel.

I made it work by using a G5 and the powerbook in target disk mode.

4. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

Verbose boot won't be able to solve that problem. Try holding down the shift key when starting your Powerbook. That will boot it into SafeBoot.

5. timbalada thread starter macrumors newbie

Hello did the way you speak on black screen shows no error starts normally but now he is catching on selection screen indiomas

6. ifrit05 macrumors regular

ifrit05

Right, but it could of shown any errors it might of encountered.

Are you using a BlueTooth mouse? try using just the trackpad, maybe it has issues with the mouse. Try to use the installer without pluging in the mouse.

7. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

Any errors it encountered during the verbose part of the boot would be and are ignored in the OP's case. His errors happen after WindowServer and loginwindow already start and cover up the verbose text.

8. ifrit05 macrumors regular

ifrit05

Yeah, that's true. Kinda sleepy, work was hectic today. :\

9. MrPilot macrumors 6502

You didn't specify what model you have, but if it's the same as mine (2005), then you might need to find a tiger image that is already updated to 10.4.11 with correct drivers.

I'm guessing it's a driver that is not present in the older installer. When I used the older 2003 or 2004 G5 to install tiger onto this 1,67 PB with target disk mode, I remember I did all the software updates using the G5 before I let the PB resume normal boot into tiger on it's own.

You could maybe try to find a bundled CD/DVD that came with that computer, maybe the mac garden has something?

10. timbalada thread starter macrumors newbie

Hello guys thanks for the help, I will answer all questions.

Use the mouse because the trackpad does not work on the installation screen.

The model is 2005, is currently installed Mac OS 10.4.11

In verbose mode shows no error starts normal, it's just me mecher the mouse to the notebook stops working.

Thanks

11. timbalada, Jan 17, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 17, 2014

timbalada thread starter macrumors newbie

I no longer have the original CD bought it used, you can not a ISO of 10.4.11 not heave G5 to target disk?
    what is mac garden

12. micahgartman macrumors member

micahgartman

What disk are you trying to boot from? Is it a retail disk (that looks like this) or a "restore" disk from another Macintosh (that looks similar to this)?

13. timbalada thread starter macrumors newbie

Hello I do not know, my DVD is recorded is not original. There's another way to tell?

14. ifrit05 macrumors regular

ifrit05

Do you have a normal wired USB mouse??? That might work.

15. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

That would just make the cursor move around the empty blue screen.

16. ifrit05 macrumors regular

ifrit05

Right, but we're trying to rule out as many problems as possible. Might work, might not. Maybe the Wireless Mouse is causing the issue. Yay for troubleshooting.

17. timbalada thread starter macrumors newbie

I do not have a wireless mouse, I'm using USB and tinker a bit mouse freezes the notebook.
    EDIT: Trackpad not work =( but only in the installation screen

18. ifrit05 macrumors regular

ifrit05

You sure? I though I saw a prompt for inserting batteries into a mouse. Hmm... Odd. Maybe I was just seeing things lol.

19. timbalada thread starter macrumors newbie

It shows the warning but I do not have a mouse, I turn on the USB but it crashes.

20. ifrit05 macrumors regular

ifrit05

Do you have any other PowerPC Macs? You can boot the iBook into Firewire Target mode by holding down "T" and connect a Firewire cable to another Mac.

On the other Mac boot the CD/DVD and choose the Firewire drive that appears and install it to the iBook.

21. timbalada thread starter macrumors newbie

Unfortunately not, can there be hardware defect?

22. ifrit05 macrumors regular

ifrit05

Could be... Are you using a Retail/Restore CD? Or a burnt copy? Is there any scratches on it?

If it's a burnt copy, might of been burnt wrong.

23. jrsx macrumors 65816

jrsx

There is a possibility that he could have the Replacement DVD. It's white and has black writing on it. You can get them from AppleCare if you need a replacement.

24. MrPilot macrumors 6502

the macintosh garden is a place where you can download older apps and stuff for PPC and 68K macs

----------

I told you why you can't boot that 2005 PB G4 into an older tiger version. I had the same issue.