Powerbook G4 Problem. Loud Buzz/Freezing

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by BrittQ, Dec 2, 2007.

1. BrittQ macrumors regular

My sister called me today to tell me about a problem she is having with her computer. I don't know what it is. I'm hoping someone here does.

-Powerbook G4

-When it turns on the screen turns gray and then the computer makes a really loud continuous buzz/hum. She held it up to the phone - and it didn't sound good.

-She said the problem came on suddenly.

-She also said she didn't turn it on for about a month. Then turned it on and it was working fine for a couple minutes then when she was in iTunes it froze and started making that noise. She left it on to see what would happen and she said the screen turned into a small square in the center and froze.

Anyone know what is wrong?

Thanks.

2. iMpathetic macrumors 68030

iMpathetic

Don't bet the ranch on this or anything, but it sounds like the CPU is overheating or something shorted out.
    Again, don't trust me on this.

3. BrittQ thread starter macrumors regular

Well she was in Australia. Not sure if they have different voltage(?) outlets there that could have cause the problem...?

4. iMpathetic macrumors 68030

iMpathetic

If they have 230V outlets that may harm it, but I'm not sure.

5. BrittQ thread starter macrumors regular

Any more suggestions, anyone?
    When she called Apple they said she had to pay $50 for them to answer her questions. And she could ask three questions in the next month. Is that normal?