Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

pootsey

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 20, 2007
UK
Okay, slight problem.

I broke the power button connector away from the logic board when opening it up the other day - if i hold it in place it will work but I need a more permanant fix to this.

Can I just use super glue over the topof the connectors? (leaving the bottoms of the connector prongs touching the bits they are supposed to) and how permanant would this be?

I do have a soldering iron but no solder wire for it and it would be very hard to try and use that.

any ideas?

thanks!

Spanky Deluxe

macrumors demi-god
Mar 17, 2005
London, UK
Okay, slight problem.

I broke the power button connector away from the logic board when opening it up the other day - if i hold it in place it will work but I need a more permanant fix to this.

Can I just use super glue over the topof the connectors? (leaving the bottoms of the connector prongs touching the bits they are supposed to) and how permanant would this be?

I do have a soldering iron but no solder wire for it and it would be very hard to try and use that.

any ideas?

thanks!

I'd probably try superglue in your situation too. With it all apart, get a small clamp. If you don't have a clamp lying around then try to find something like a broad clothes peg or something. Make sure its being held on *really* tight in the right position and then add superglue around the base. You want it to be really tight so that there's definitely a connection and so that there's no space for superglue to seep inbetween and form an insulating barrier. You might want to fluff the solder on the board a little with a pin to make sure it connects.

pootsey

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 20, 2007
UK
Okay, I'm just popping out now to get some super glue lol - I will let you know how I get on.

pootsey

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 20, 2007
UK
OH GOD GUYS.

*DISASTER*

Whilst trying to superglue it back on I broke off one of the pins from the connector, will it still work?

pootsey

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 20, 2007
UK
Hmm, After several attempts I couldnt work out how to turn my cameras flash off...but heres the best picture I could get.

(edited to show features)

attemptxf8.png

Spanky Deluxe

macrumors demi-god
Mar 17, 2005
London, UK
does the metal still create a contact? If it does then you might be ok. If not then its time to get a needle tipped soldering iron out and a hell of a lot of luck to head your way! :(

pootsey

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 20, 2007
UK
i dear to god hope that it still works :(

Wish me luck...

edit: erm, ok...It didnt work, but when I pressed my screwdriver down on the logic board strip for the connector it turned on...what next? xD

pootsey

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 20, 2007
UK
erm, ok...It didnt work, but when I pressed my screwdriver down on the logic board strip for the connector it turned on...what next? xD

Spanky Deluxe

macrumors demi-god
Mar 17, 2005
London, UK
Hmmm. Do you have a soldering iron handy? You've either got the choice of trying to solder that connector back to the board or you could try soldering two wires to both of the connectors and connecting them straight to the switch (or try soldering them to the connector where its broken off).

pootsey

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 20, 2007
UK
I dont have one atm as I am away from home, but I have no solder for that.

why do apple have to manufacture things which easily break! haha.

Spanky Deluxe

macrumors demi-god
Mar 17, 2005
London, UK
I dont have one atm as I am away from home, but I have no solder for that.

why do apple have to manufacture things which easily break! haha.

Lol! In all fairness, you're not supposed to be opening up your 'book!! Can you bend the wires underneath the connector a little bit so as to make a connection? I had a similar connector break off on my old iBook G3, the trackpad connector. In the end I got hold of some mini clamp like thing I think, clamped it on tight and then glued it. After a few attempts it worked.

pootsey

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 20, 2007
UK
no, the 2nd connector prong has completely broken off from within the connector.

The only solution I can see is bypassing the connector completely and soldering the direct wire onto the logicboard :(

But I'd have to wait a week until I'm gome to do that.

pootsey

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 20, 2007
UK
ok guys, I'm back home and I have come to the conclusion that the socket connector thing is buggered basically :(

If I chop the connector off and solder the wire onto the little metal strip connectors on the logic board - will this work?

thanks alot - tom

Spanky Deluxe

macrumors demi-god
Mar 17, 2005
London, UK
ok guys, I'm back home and I have come to the conclusion that the socket connector thing is buggered basically :(

If I chop the connector off and solder the wire onto the little metal strip connectors on the logic board - will this work?

thanks alot - tom

Yeah it should do. If I were you though, I'd head to an electrical store and try to get a really small socket and plug type thing, very similar to what's come off. Then solder two wires to the board, two wires to the socket (wrapped in insulating tape), then cut off the connector from the keyboard and put the plug on that. Otherwise it will be an absolute nightmare to put everything together/take it all apart.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.