Powerbook G4 problem.

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by gazoid, Nov 29, 2007.

1. gazoid macrumors newbie

I have a powerbook g4 1.67ghz 17".
    It has developed a few problems:
    1. The battery will not charge at all and when the power cable is removed it shuts down imediately.
    2.The only way to restart the powerbook is to do a reset of the pmu where you disconnect power and battery and hold down on switch for 5-10secs.
    3.The USB ports have stopped working.

Otherwise it runs as normal. Could this be the logic board battery needs replacing or is there another fault!

Any help appreciated.

2. paul.b.davis macrumors 6502

paul.b.davis

not much to do but call apple on this one...

i hope you have applecare

3. TruffleHound macrumors newbie

G4 PRoblems

You are probably just at the end of your G4's battery life (they don't last forever). Have you tried replacing the battery and seeing if a new one will charge? USB Ports are another issue and would need to be serviced. The other thing that you should check is your RAM--the lower RAM slot on G4s have issues--mine went out recently and I am living with a single 1 gig card in the upper slot since I don't want to buy a new motherboard. If you find a RAM problem it is important to remove the RAM from the bad slot (I had left mine in thinking it didn't matter, resulting in some software crashes during system and software updates).

4. gazoid thread starter macrumors newbie

The battery health is at 100% on istat pro so don't think it is a dead battery.

5. CalMin macrumors 6502a

CalMin

You could also try coconut battery for more info about your battery health.

http://coconut-flavour.com/coconutbattery/