PowerBook G4 Problems... anyone else?

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by MIDI_EVIL, May 13, 2007.

1. MIDI_EVIL macrumors 65816

MIDI_EVIL

Ok, lately i've been getting a few problems with my 28 month old PowerBook G4 1.67.

Firstly... When sleeping, the LCD flashes intermittently, as if there is a surge of power going through the screen.

Secondly... When the PowerBook is running on battery, and I adjust the volume, it makes a popping noise and clicks and pops delaying the volume adjust symbol... It's difficult to explain this one. Basically, it has problems adjusting volume, it's almost like the speakers are blown, or there is no power going to them...?

Thirdly... Every now and again (every 3 or 4 days) it will lock up, crash, music will jump like a stuck record, and I have to hold down the power button to force shut down. I have 10GB remaining on a 80GB HD. I don't think space is an issue.

I'm a fairly savvy user, I repair disks, empty cache, and generally keep everything on good order on a regular basis. These issues have me stumped.

I've tried resetting PRAM, NVRAM... no luck.

Please, if anyone has any advice or experience on these issues i'd love to hear from them.

I have accidental damage cover, and breakdown cover for another 2 years... do you think this is worth sending it in?

Rich.

2. janey macrumors 603

janey

No comment on your other concerns, but regarding the above...
    10gb remaining on 80gb is not much. I regularly see OS X on my mini and macbook use up 15+gb of virtual memory, and that 15gb doesn't appear out of thin air :eek:

Have you tried a reinstall?

3. MIDI_EVIL thread starter macrumors 65816

MIDI_EVIL

Yeah, I may have to try a reinstall.

I'm fairly confident that all the problems are related, to a power fault?

The first two problems i've had for a good 6 months, with various reinstalls.

Thanks Janey for your comments.

Rich.

4. janey macrumors 603

janey

Hmm, some of them do sound like hardware issues. If you still have AppleCare, get it checked out? (the obvious :eek: )

5. MIDI_EVIL thread starter macrumors 65816

MIDI_EVIL

Yeah it's not actually Applecare, but Coverplan from Dixons (probably a big mistake but it covers accidental damage)

I've read some bad things since I got coverplan, about them doing everything in their power to stop you from claiming a repair or replacement.

I've got trading standards and citizen's advice beurau (sp?) bookmarked!!!

Thanks again,

Rich.

6. Lorindal macrumors newbie

I have a 2 year old powerbook g4 myself. About a month ago, when i would try to shutdown, my mac would crash. I'd get the Grey box and have too force shut down. I did a repair and it fixed it, but i would still intermittently have the same problem. I did a reinstall 3 days ago, and haven't had any problems since.