PowerBook G4 RAM issues

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by Starfighter, Jul 4, 2012.

1. Starfighter macrumors 6502a

Starfighter

Well, it's like this. I have a PowerBook G4 with 1 GB in RAM. I checked the memory in about this mac and got this:
    [​IMG]

So, I purchased an extra stick (1 GB) and when I was about to install the new stick I found that the lower slot wasn't empty, it had another stick of RAM in it.

[​IMG]

These two sat together making 1 GB of RAM, but showing it as only one in the about-section. How come?

I also tried to make use of my newly bought RAM and thought "1,5 GB is better than 1 GB..." but the lower slot still claim it's empty and therefore the "about this mac" tells me I'm down to just 512 MB of RAM. I'm very confused!

2. 666sheep macrumors 68040

666sheep

These 2 should make 1.5GB. Upper stick (with BGA chips) is 1GB, lower (with TSOP chips) 512MB. It seems that your PB has infamous "dead lower slot issue".

Put stick in LOWER slot only and try to boot. If it won't boot, you have the answer. You can try to reset PRAM and PMU, it won't hurt if it wont help ;)

3. Starfighter thread starter macrumors 6502a

Starfighter

I first thought the text "2Bank 512M" meant that they are 1 GB together, but when I realized that it should be 1.5 GB and googled it I found out just what you just said, so you are right on the money - the lower slot is faulty.

4. 666sheep macrumors 68040

666sheep

It can be repaired in electronics workshop specialized in soldering BGA and other sufrace mounted components. Slot needs to be resoldered. Is it worth it? It depends on how much they would charge you.

5. Starfighter thread starter macrumors 6502a

Starfighter

I'll let it be for now. 1 GB in RAM is enough for what I'm doing with it anyway - I was just being greedy. :)