Powerbook G4 RAM problem

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by dancingchiapet, Aug 4, 2009.

1. dancingchiapet macrumors newbie

Any info is appreciated.....

I have a 15" 1.5GHz Powerbook G4. In system profiler it said my upper memory slot had a 512mb stick and the lower slot was empty. I ordered a 1gig stick, opened up the back and the lower slot actually had a 256mb card in it already. I went ahead and switched the 1Gig for it. When I turned my computer back on it took an unusually long amount of time. Now it says the lower slot is still empty, but still reads the 512 in the upper slot.

Thoughts?

Next I'm going to switch the places of the 1gb and 512mb sticks. maybe i just have a faulty slot.

2. geoffreak macrumors 68020

geoffreak

3. dubhe macrumors 65816

dubhe

Agreed, try swapping the memory top to bottom slot and see what happens.

4. bartelby macrumors Core

Faulty slot means logic board needs changing.

5. dancingchiapet thread starter macrumors newbie

faulty slot

i switched them, the 1gb in the upper slot appears, but not the 512mb in the lower.

thanks anyways, atleast i can use my gig of ram

6. NIPRING macrumors 6502

In my PB i had to seat , reseat, seat again and again until both sticks showed up. Its a little frustrating since you have to keep flipping it over switching them around, power back up, check the profiler, power down, reseat, ect ect. But it should eventually come around.

7. NC MacGuy macrumors 603

NC MacGuy

8. gavin83209 macrumors regular

I've been having trouble with a June 2004 PowerMac G5 with a very similar problem. If you haven't already, pull the RAM out of the dead slot. It might make your system both more stable and slightly faster. It looks like iFixit is charging about $500 for a new logic board when they are back in stock, so if you need more RAM, you should either buy one of those when (if) they're back or consider a refurbished MacBook for $850.

That worked fine on my G5 for about ten minutes when running the Apple Service Diagnostics OF tests, then it brought the entire system down. It passed the RAM and logic board tests, but crashed during the fan test. :confused: :rolleyes: I wouldn't trust it.