Powerbook G4 Ram

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by SawyerTHEBEST, Feb 16, 2013.

1. SawyerTHEBEST macrumors member

SawyerTHEBEST

This has been busting my balls, I have the PC2700 model powerbook G4 that can take up to 2GB of ram. mine came with 2 different types of ram, one with 512mb and one with 1gb, but they were not compatable, so I took the 512mb one out and was going to by another same version of the 1gb ram BUT I can't find it anywere. Heres a picture:

http://i.imgur.com/K3qpCeb.jpg

Sorry for the lighting BUT as you can see it has 2 chips in each row, 8 in all, seems normal enough, so I googled the ram model number to get to crucial's website and find this:

http://www.crucial.com/store/listparts.aspx?model=PowerBook G4 1GHz (15-inch Display PC2700 DDR)

looks normal, I'll get the 1gb model BUT LOOK AT IT , IT HAS 4 BIG CHIPS NOT 8 LITTLE ONES WHAT HHOW . Any help? I'm really confused.

2. Frost7 macrumors regular

Frost7

Short version is it's just a difference in design, nothing to worry about. As long as they're the same type memory (and the correct type for your Mac) they'll work.

3. SawyerTHEBEST thread starter macrumors member

SawyerTHEBEST

SO thought It came with the 2 sticks of ram that were the same model type why didn't it work did some testing to find out THE BOTTEM RAM SLOT DOESN'T WORK, now whut do? :apple::apple::apple::apple:

4. SawyerTHEBEST thread starter macrumors member

SawyerTHEBEST

WELL done some tinkering on the bottem slot ( broken one, and can't get it to work in any way, it reminds me of the nes 72-pin connector. SO I really REALLY doubt it but is there 1 stick of 2gb ram I could put in a 2700 version powerbook G4 15 inch maine :apple::apple::apple::apple::apple:

5. rabidz7 macrumors 65816

rabidz7

6. Frost7 macrumors regular

Frost7

If you've tried the same module in both slots and it only works in the upper slot, that does sound like your lower slot is bad. The largest you can get per module is 1GB. So, you'll need to either live with 1GB, or replace your faulty motherboard.

7. skateny macrumors 6502

skateny

Yeah, this was an issue with that model.

8. DrakkenWar macrumors 6502

DrakkenWar

Same Issue here...

I have tried every combination you can think of to get my PB 1.5 to see 2 gig, and I am stuck at 1 gig. It is not worth purchasing a replacement board for this computer to bump it up. If you are willing to live with 10.4 you can still get a lot done with 1 gig of ram.

~Just my thought.

Drake

9. California macrumors 68040

California

There used to be a company that would fix the bottom memory slot in Arizona, maybe they are still around. It's a cracked connection, I think they just reflow the board.