Powerbook G4: Screen Issues - red pixelated, and screen going out?

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by crdean1, Jul 8, 2008.

1. crdean1 macrumors 6502a

crdean1

Thanks in advance for any insight you might provide.

I have a G4 Powerbook 1.67 that I don't take anywhere. It just sits on an iCurve as a home computer. Never been dropped, damaged, looks as good as new.

That said, the screen sometimes gives me these red moving pixels which distorts the screen image a bit (pic attached). And lately the screen has been going out at times with lines across the screen, then intermittent blackouts. Any suggestions? Applecare expired in Feb.

Thanks!

Attached Files:

2. techound1 macrumors 68000

techound1

Intermittent and lines on a pb says pinched cable to me, but that means the screen should keep its backlight even without a picture (and it sounds like it just goes black?). Total loss of both picture and backlight has me thinking video card.

Since it's free (but a longshot), you can try resetting the PMU as it does control backlighting.

3. crdean1 thread starter macrumors 6502a

crdean1

Thanks, Techound1, I'll try that. Like you said, it's free

Edit: Interesting, the picture I posted was an attempt to capture the red pixelation across the top of my screen. It appears, now that I am looking at it via my 'BlackBook', that the pixelation did not translate to the picture posted. Hmmmm....

4. techound1 macrumors 68000

techound1

That's good - I was worried I was loosing my mind not seeing it. :eek::)

Oh, and if it doesn't show up on a screen capture, that means it's probably a cable, rather than a video card.

5. crdean1 thread starter macrumors 6502a

crdean1

6. techound1 macrumors 68000

techound1

Here's to hoping a little padding will help! If you need the official manual, PM me your email address and screen size and I'll send one over.