PowerBook G4 screen problem; repair or replace?

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by nimbuscloud, Dec 6, 2007.

1. nimbuscloud macrumors regular

Hello all,

A co-worker of mine's PowerBook G4's screen isn't working anymore. BTW, I work in an IT department. He went to get a repair quote and he received a quote for $400 + $95 for a used screen or $600 + $95 for a new screen.

My thing is, is it worth spending almost $700 repairing a G4 or should he try to replace it with a new one?

How much life do you think the PowerBook G4 has in it? He can get a new one for $2000 w/tax with an education discount (we work at a private college). Our school doesn't have a ton of money, so I want to see what would be the wisest thing to do.

Any help would be great. Thanks for your time.

:apple:

2. Cuckoo macrumors 6502

there are quite a few models powerbook G4 made, so it's hard to say.

but in any case,

if your needs don't vary that much, and you use the laptop to your satifaction (does it suit your current en forseeable needs) then repair.

if it's on it's last legs, chocking away on all the new software, then a new macbook (pro) might be the way....

i know i haven't said anything clear like buy/sell... but it's very personal...

i personal would buy a new one... but that's my life and wallet....

3. nimbuscloud thread starter macrumors regular

It's for work. It's not mine, it's for a co-worker. I'll look at it today, hopefully I'll get the specs on it. I think it was purchased in 2003.

4. Cuckoo macrumors 6502

and please mention what the laptop is used for. Surfing? Graphics?

But in any case i had a powerbook from 2003, with 1.5gig of ram, and after upgrading to leopard i descided it was time for a new laptop.

5. nimbuscloud thread starter macrumors regular

I'm sorry.

It is used for graphics. My co-worker is a graphic designer.

6. EvryDayImShufln macrumors 65816

EvryDayImShufln

Maybe he can buy the screen off ebay and install it himself. 700$ for a repair does NOT seem worth it, you can buy a used macbook for about that anyway.

7. HDproducer macrumors member

I just replaced the screen on my 2 year old 17" 1.6 PB for $250. It took lots of looking but I found a used screen at an authorized repair center. It came off a PB that had a bad logic board so they decided not to fix it. It was fairly easy to replace the screen if your inclined for that sort of thing.

For me it was worth it because the PB still works nice for what I use it for and I want to spend my money on a Mac Pro. But if it was my only machine, and I was doing graphics work, I think I would opt for the new one.

8. nimbuscloud thread starter macrumors regular

How did you learn to repair the screen yourself? I'm going to look for a used screen.

9. nimbuscloud thread starter macrumors regular

My boss has decided to repair the screen.

I was going to order one from Powerbookmedic.com.

Has anyone heard of that website before? If so, are they trustworthy?