Powerbook G4 Sleeping problems

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by tomferreira, Sep 26, 2008.

1. tomferreira macrumors newbie

Hi All,

I have a prob with my 15" 1.5Ghz Powerbook G4. It just goes to sleep randomly when i'm using it and sometimes won't come back to life. I then have to unplug it and remove the battery to put out the sleep light and then restart it.

It seems to only do this once it's been on for a little while, maybe 45 minutes or something.

I have noticed that if i remove the battery and run it from the mains power only it doesn't go to sleep and runs fine.

Is this a problem with the battery do you think or something else?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Tom.

2. digitalpencil macrumors 6502

digitalpencil

If running through direct mains alleviates the problem then yes, it would suggest it has something to do with a faulty battery..
    Is there another PB battery you can get your hands on to confirm this theory?

3. soberbrain macrumors 65816

soberbrain

4. InLikeALion macrumors 6502a

Actually, sounds like the infamous PB narcolepsy problem. My wife's PB was unusable because it went to sleep all the time and often couldn't be re awakened without removing the battery and restarting. Do a google search for powerbook narcolepsy. The results wont be fun.

Are you running Tiger or Leopard? We haven't had the problem in many months, and we also upgraded to Leopard in that time frame. It could be coincidence, or it could be a fix in Leopard.

5. tomferreira thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks guys.

Have looked lot's up about Powerbook Narcolespy and it doesn't sound good! Lot's of stuff about the temperature sensors failing and therefore putting the machine to sleep.

Would the temperature sensor still put the machine to sleep if it was running from the mains or is this just when running from the battery?

I will try and get another battery and try that to see if it makes a difference.

6. tomferreira thread starter macrumors newbie

Right! Have downloaded a temperature moniter and can see that the trackpad sensor fluctuates quite a lot suggesting a possible fault and therefore the cause of the narcolepsy??

When the battery is disconnected, the trackpad sensor stays level at 38.5 degress C.

This is very odd. Does this still suggest a problem with the sensor or do you think it could be the battery??

Any suggestions would be gratefully received.

Tom.