Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacCubed

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Apr 26, 2014
Florida
So today after a few (long) days of waiting, my SSD and IDE Enclosure finally came! I immediately unpacked both of the packages and installed it in my PowerBook. Then, as I began to install Leopard, I had to go out to dinner, so I left the installer to do it's thing. When I got home, it was done! I instantly updated the system and downloaded TenFourFox, still have to install @eyoungren 's tweaks! Performance is great, battery life seems to be greatly improved with my new battery. The RAM should be here on Monday, and the DC-IN board is in the air since the seller still hasn't shipped it. But, the SSD is great! Totally recommend it to anyone who wants to upgrade the hard drive in their PowerBook/iBook and does not want to shell out a ton of money for a high capacity IDE drive. The mSATA SSD was $40 and the adapter was $30 and it allows me to upgrade the SSD whenever I want.

bunnspecial

macrumors G3
May 3, 2014
Kentucky
You'll love what it does to your Powerbook. Both the A1138 and A1139 that I use regularly have them.

These drives will nearly saturate the ATA/100 bus in sequential read and write-I've found about a 8mb/s "overhead" loss in the adapters I use. I can generally get a max of about 92 mb/s.

I have a 12" that I bought with an mSATA already installed, and sequential read/write is around 86mb/s. The person I bought from wrote up a thread a few years back detailing the installation, and that's what he reported when it was first installed.

MacCubed

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Apr 26, 2014
Florida
You'll love what it does to your Powerbook. Both the A1138 and A1139 that I use regularly have them.

These drives will nearly saturate the ATA/100 bus in sequential read and write-I've found about a 8mb/s "overhead" loss in the adapters I use. I can generally get a max of about 92 mb/s.

I have a 12" that I bought with an mSATA already installed, and sequential read/write is around 86mb/s. The person I bought from wrote up a thread a few years back detailing the installation, and that's what he reported when it was first installed.
What SSD/ adapter do you use?? I'm using a SanDisk SSD and an Aleratec adapter

Cox Orange

macrumors 68000
Jan 1, 2010
OP,

could you look into the average ATA throughput in Activity monitor? I have found that synthetic benchmark tools give throughputs (if you have an SSD installed) of 80MB/s for ATA66, which is impossible.

ryannel2003

macrumors 68000
Jan 30, 2005
Greenville, NC
I installed a SanDisk 120GB SSD in my old iMac G4 last week and so far the performance is great, especially with Tiger. I had Leopard installed and the computer was pretty slow.

MacCubed

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Apr 26, 2014
Florida
Nope, these benchmarks are direct from GeekBench. I think it may just ignore the ATA/100 limitations completely and just go off the drive, but that still does not make sense since the bus can't go over 100 MB/S unless there is something wrong. I'm a bit confused too lol

Reactions: rudimentary

flyrod

macrumors 6502
Jan 12, 2015
I thought geek was a CPU benchmark? With xbench I get a peak of ~90MB/s with my msata ssd in a powerbook.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.