Powerbook G4 Sudden shutdowns

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by filtatos, Feb 16, 2011.

1. filtatos macrumors newbie

I have a powerbook G4 (1.67GHz). Battery is dead for 6 months now but I was
    working fine with the power adaptor until a week ago.
    Also PMU battery must be dead because I have to set date/time, everytime I open the powerbook.

The new problem is that powerbook is suddenly losing its connection with the power adaptor and shuts down. If a plug the adaptor out and in to the electricity socket it is getting power again, but if I just unplug the cable from the powerbook and put it back in, it won't...

The shut downs are not connected with heavy use, or anything else, they seem random.

I have already tried to reset pram, etc...

Do you think this is logic board issue, a cable issue, an adaptor issue or what?
    The problem is I'm not in my hometown and I'm trying to edit a short film here and I'm getting a little embarrassed... (OK, I know, I need a new mac.)

I would really appreciate any help.

P.S. sorry for my English

2. California macrumors 68040

California

I don't think it is a good idea to run Powerbooks on dead batteries. I think it affects the DC in board. I know this was a huge issue for TItanium Powerbook G4s... with dead batteries who knew if you could even turn them on. These are laptops that are meant to have an electrical charge running through them to the batteries from the power dc board etc.

You may have messed up the dc in board. Get a battery.

3. filtatos thread starter macrumors newbie

OK. Thanks for the answer. This seems to be the safest solution.

I hope I'll be able to find one here.