Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

netsrot39

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 7, 2018
Austria
Hello,
I have an early 2005 PowerBook G4 15" with 1,67 GHz clock speed which I overhauled a little bit lately. I replaced the internal HD with an IDE SSD (120 GB, connected via an adapter because the SSD itself is MSATA), replaced the optical drive with another SSD I had lying around (Kingston 120 GB), replaced a broken speaker and applied new thermal paste. All these modifications work great in OSX 10.5.8 but as you might know the disk utility of PowerPC Macs is quite limited in comparison to their Intel counterparts (delete, create, resize partitions). That's why I always used an Intel Mac to modify partitions however I can't do that anymore because in Target Disk Mode the primary SSD is not showing up anymore, only the SSD in the Optical Drive Caddy is accesible. I don't use the SSD in the Caddy for the operating system but only for data because the speed is a fraction of what it is on the main SSD. Does anybody of you guys might know what causes this or can propose a solution? The only workaraound so far is to unscrew the PowerBook, take the SSD out and connect it via an PATA/Ide USB reading device but even though this is done in 10 minutes it's still annoying because it could have been done with simply connection one FireWire-Port. Before I put in the SSD in the Caddy the main SSD showed up but I don't know why Target Disk Mode seems to neglect the primary SSD when even booting from the disk works without any problems.

Any help is kindly appreaciated.

Best regards.

AphoticD

macrumors 68020
Feb 17, 2017
That is strange behaviour. I would recommend running Disk Warrior on the SSD.

netsrot39

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 7, 2018
Austria
Hi,
this is the one I use “Delock 62495 Konverter IDE 44 Pin > mSATA mit 2.5″ Rahmen (7 mm)” https://www.amazon.de/dp/B00ELC8GFO/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_XItbCbDRR4TTW

I tried unplugging the Caddy SSD and then (only with the main SSD attached) tried to start target disk mode. Now it won’t even go into TDM (unless I plug the original DVD Drive) Booting into the OS however works fine. What could cause this? Does anybody have experience with PowerBooks and HDD Caddys. Thanks!

amagichnich

macrumors 6502a
Feb 3, 2017
Stuttgart, Germany
Hi,
this is the one I use “Delock 62495 Konverter IDE 44 Pin > mSATA mit 2.5″ Rahmen (7 mm)” https://www.amazon.de/dp/B00ELC8GFO/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_XItbCbDRR4TTW

I tried unplugging the Caddy SSD and then (only with the main SSD attached) tried to start target disk mode. Now it won’t even go into TDM (unless I plug the original DVD Drive) Booting into the OS however works fine. What could cause this? Does anybody have experience with PowerBooks and HDD Caddys. Thanks!
I looked a long time at that caddy and decided to go with a cheaper one, despite the very positive comments. At last i went for this one.

Sometimes the behavior of yours is caused by an incorrect jumper setting the wrong IDE mode (Master,Slave,CableSelect) but I cannot see any on the pictures. If there is a jumper then try the different settings.

I'd remove the second drive during installation to be 100% sure the problems are not related to the second drive and maybe a second incorrect jumper setting. (remove it even if there is no jumper)

I assume the disk is properly detected with an USB-IDE adaptor? On the PB of course, any other computer doesen't matter here.

All these modifications work great in OSX 10.5.8 but as you might know the disk utility of PowerPC Macs is quite limited in comparison to their Intel counterparts (delete, create, resize partitions).
Quite the opposite is the case - have you had a look at the newest iterations of disk utility? Evereything is hidden or removed, it is little more than a better interface for "About this Mac"... Yes, in Tiger DU is limited after installation, but Leopard isn't

Reactions: AphoticD

netsrot39

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 7, 2018
Austria
Hello again, sorry for replying so lately, I've been very busy with university in the last weeks but had time today to look into the matter. @amagichnich: Thanks for the hint it was indeed helpful. Once again I screwed the PowerBook open (the third time this month) and took the SSD out to see what causes the issue of not recognizing the disk in target disk mode. I removed the jumper on the pins of the IDE adapter and voila now the drive also shows in target disk mode :) This makes life way easier when it comes to backing up data between PowerBook and Intel-Macs :)

Thanks again for your help :)

amagichnich

macrumors 6502a
Feb 3, 2017
Stuttgart, Germany
Hello again, sorry for replying so lately, I've been very busy with university in the last weeks but had time today to look into the matter. @amagichnich: Thanks for the hint it was indeed helpful. Once again I screwed the PowerBook open (the third time this month) and took the SSD out to see what causes the issue of not recognizing the disk in target disk mode. I removed the jumper on the pins of the IDE adapter and voila now the drive also shows in target disk mode :) This makes life way easier when it comes to backing up data between PowerBook and Intel-Macs :)

Thanks again for your help :)
Now I look at it again and there is a jumper! :D seems like I didn't look too carefully in the first place

Reactions: netsrot39
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.