Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Jony Mac

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 27, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
So my wife's PB Ti trackpad stopped working. I tried doing a PRAM reset, and found an article that said if you put your hand on the trackpad it is supposed to reset it. I havent had any luck with this, so I was wondering if someone here had a similar problem and had it fixed.

Maybe its just time to buy a new Mac...maybe sell the PB Ti...still works with a wifi mouse..

Joshuarocks

macrumors 6502
Mar 12, 2011
Somewhere in Cyberspace
So my wife's PB Ti trackpad stopped working. I tried doing a PRAM reset, and found an article that said if you put your hand on the trackpad it is supposed to reset it. I havent had any luck with this, so I was wondering if someone here had a similar problem and had it fixed.

Maybe its just time to buy a new Mac...maybe sell the PB Ti...still works with a wifi mouse..

If you want to attempt to get that fixed, look for the parts at http://www.applecomponents.com and then go to ifixit.com or powerbookmedic.com - there you will find how to fix and preserve your Titanium PowerBook. Don't throw it away.

Joshuarocks

macrumors 6502
Mar 12, 2011
Somewhere in Cyberspace
yeah im just debating is it worth investing in a 800mhz G4....

Depending on how much the part is.. you might just want to consider moving up to the dual-layer M9970/A PowerBook G4 1.67 which is what I currently use and just ran into a problem with the keyboard.

The keyboard cost me 50 bucks and since I am using the PowerBook G4 for most of my everyday stuff(emailing, correspondence, some light dvd work).. it is being used more than even my mac pro.

So, it is worth it.. but the question is.. Does the PowerBook do what you want it to do? One reason why I am not going to a macbook pro or macbook is because I don't need anything that fast or sophisticated.. The following macs I use mostly(from greatest to least).

PowerBook G4 1.67 DL
PowerMac G5 Quad(just obtained)
PowerBook G4 Pismo(for OS 9 use)
Gateway P-6860fx gaming laptop(for windows or just windows nostalgia)
MAC PRO 2010 6-core

The 1st two I use about 80-100 percent of the time.. while the Pismo I use for OS 9 or as an emergency laptop if my PB G4 goes down for some reason..

My Mac Pro is only used for intense dvd ripping, encoding.. other wise, my Quad is quite capable of doing these things.

Jony Mac

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 27, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
My wife uses it to check her email (personal and work) and uses MS office. It just seems like Firefox is sluggish. I need a new battery for it, and now trackpad..

So im debating do I fix this or just look for a used MacBook...or get an iMac and give her my MacBook... i dunno

Jony Mac

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 27, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
I have 3 Macs, one MacBook I bought last year that I use, the PowerBook I'm talking about here my wife uses, and I have another 500mhz PB that just collects dust. My wife uses it for business/personal use.

• Email
  • Web (Firefox)
  • Printing
  • MS Word
  • MS Excel
  • iTunes (Sometimes)

Jony Mac

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 27, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
yeah i ended up finding that yesterday too. There is no way a PB like this is worth spending even half the cost of this part.

Jony Mac

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 27, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
Does anyone have any other ideas of stuff I could try to resolve this? It would be nice to get it working really just for a short while. The more I think about it...the more a new machine seems to be the way to go.

Thanks in advance..

cyberghoser1

macrumors member
Nov 18, 2009
Athens, Hellas
Does anyone have any other ideas of stuff I could try to resolve this? It would be nice to get it working really just for a short while. The more I think about it...the more a new machine seems to be the way to go.

Thanks in advance..

I'll say sell it and go for a new mac, still it works with external mouse so it is'nt a big issue IMHO, if i was in that situation hopefully i have someone here that fixes any single thing about macs and very cheap, i would keep it, but since parts are expensive i'll say sell it :p

666sheep

macrumors 68040
Dec 7, 2009
Poland
Does anyone have any other ideas of stuff I could try to resolve this?

You can try to reinstall OS. If it's software issue (there's a small possibility that it is - corrupted files on HDD for instance, trackpad has its own driver in OS) it could help. If it won't, it's HW issue for sure.

Jony Mac

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 27, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
Well here is an update the trackpad started working then stopped again, and now the combo drive is on the fritz.

we both talked two nights ago...shes getting my macbook and im upgrading either to a imac or macbook pro. thanks for all of your help everyone.

PHDinCT

macrumors newbie
Dec 30, 2011
CT
Trackpad disappeared

You can try to reinstall OS. If it's software issue (there's a small possibility that it is - corrupted files on HDD for instance, trackpad has its own driver in OS) it could help. If it won't, it's HW issue for sure.

As a previous PC user I don't know where to find the Trackpad Driver in my Powerbook HDD... is there a drivers folder? Can I download and reinstall the new driver?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.