PowerBook G4 Titanium not charging.

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by 128keaton, Jul 28, 2014.

1. 128keaton macrumors 68020

128keaton

Hello again. My Titanium is very happy aside from the right speaker not working, the latch not working, and the battery not charging. I've reset the PRAM and PMU, but in OS X it doesnt charge. On boot, I push the button on the battery and it flashes, meaning its low, but it has at least 1% of power. Here is a screenshot from CoconutBattery:

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

2. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

The battery is probably shot!

3. 128keaton thread starter macrumors 68020

128keaton

Aww, say it isnt so.

4. eyoungren macrumors Core

eyoungren

Could also be the DC-In board. I'd check with a known good battery first though. If that battery charges then the DC-In board is not the culprit.

5. jrsx macrumors 65816

jrsx

It shouldn't be running off power if the DC-in board is the culprit.. I've had lots of issues with iBook DC-in boards and when they had issues it wouldn't run off power, just battery.

6. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

That is why I think it is the battery.

7. eyoungren macrumors Core

eyoungren

I had one bad DC-In board that did that. I've replaced about four or five and on all the rest it maintained power but refused to charge the battery.

8. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

9. Zotaccian macrumors 6502a

Zotaccian

What is the history of the machine / battery? If it has been unused for a long time and the battery is fully drained then the protection circuit will prevent charge going through even though cells could be ok.. Or then there really is problen with cells. When in use OS X should prevent the battery totally draining so I'm sure you would have noticed that battery is not charging even when in ac power and then it could be dc-in board or somethinh related to charging electronics. I have owned a PowerBook which seemed to kill the battery slowly, even a new battery lost its maximum capacity super fast and when the computer was unused, there was also weird noise when charger was connected but the machine was off....