Powerbook G4 to Macbook Pro

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by wonderland8, Dec 20, 2012.

1. wonderland8 macrumors newbie

I currently have two laptops, a functional 1.67 GHz Powerbook G4 from which I am writing now and a 2009 Macbook Pro that has a nonfunctional screen and keyboard. What happened involved a cat, a glass of red wine, and my keyboard and for a while I was doing just fine with a bluetooth keyboard and then the screen started flickering and now it is permanently black. I spent six months thinking the thing was broken once before when it just needed the pRam reset and I pulled it out today and tried that again with fingers crossed. The grey apple screen appeared for a second and then I got black again but I could hear that the thing was running fine behind that black screen. I wonder if it might be a loose connection in the LED display but I can't for the life of me figure out how to open up the screen and check it and the internet has been no help but I think most likely it needs a new screen.
    Since I can't afford that kind of stuff right now, I thought I might be able to undertake a fun little experiment and turn my Powerbook into a Macbook with you guys' help, if that is even possible. I found some stuff online alluding to the fact that you could get a Powerbook running on the innards of a Macbook Pro but I would have no idea where to start. I am pretty good with computers once I have direction and I'm pretty confident I could do it if someone told me how to however I don't want to break the one working laptop I have. What's the verdict on this project guys? Sorry if this thread belongs in a different forum! Your help is greatly appreciated!
    -Alice

2. yusukeaoki macrumors 68030

yusukeaoki

If my knowledge is right, I think that is impossible to do...
    If its only a screen problem, you can connect your MBP to a TV or monitor and use that as a screen

3. De5 macrumors member

To OP, this is exactly what you need to try. Plug your macbook into a tv or monitor and see if that boots up!

4. yusukeaoki macrumors 68030

yusukeaoki

Exactly, it can simply mean his computer is dead...
    Which if it was, it would be a complete waste taking apart 2 computers.

And I still believe his computer is dead.
    A cable simply does not become loose in couple of seconds.
    Its probably a dead computer or a dead screen but definitely not a loose part.