PowerBook G4 turns off when charger plugged in?

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by tomcoolj, Jan 23, 2012.

1. tomcoolj macrumors member

I have a 1GHz 15" PowerBook G4. It runs fine off the battery, but as soon as you plug the charger in it turns off and won't turn on again until I static reset it (powerbutton held down for 10 secs).

I've tried PRAM, NVRAM and static resets. I've tried 3 different batteries, 3 different chargers (2x 65w & 1x 45w).

The batteries won't charge either, and they are known good batteries.

I have no idea whats going on, does anyone have any ideas?

2. Goftrey macrumors 68000

Goftrey

3. tomcoolj thread starter macrumors member

Yeah, thats logically the next step. I just thought this might have happened to someone else

4. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

I've replaced two DC In boards. Both had different characteristics. The first one acted like yours, except that it didn't shut down on me. It just would not charge, but was able to run on battery.

My second one would charge but showed no charge icon.

In your case, my speculation would be that the circuitry detects that a charger has been plugged in so switches to charge instead of running from batter, but because the board has failed the Mac finds itself with no power source and shuts down. If you pull the power cord out before the Mac turns off on you does it go back to running from battery? Just my speculation, I'm not an expert by any means.

I would replace it though.. They aren't that expensive and it isn't major surgery.

5. tomcoolj thread starter macrumors member

If I start it with the lead and battery in, it turns off when I take the power lead out, even though I have a good charge in the battery.

The battery does charge.

Then the only way of starting it back up again is performing a static / PMU reset?