Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

galgot

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 28, 2015
Hi,
I've been experimenting OS9 on a PowerBook5,1 G4 17" 1Ghz model A1013, using the tricks from OS9Lives site, here :
http://macos9lives.com/smforum/index.php/topic,3912.0.html
All works fine, except for the few things that are broken with OS9 on this model of course.

Now the disk is a 60Gb, so I thought I could have Tiger on a 30Gb partition.
Plugged the Book on a iMacG5 running Tiger, then using Disk Utility formatted the disk in two partition, first 30Gb HFS+ Journaled for Tiger, and second 30Gb HFS+ for OS9. All in Apple Part Table and with OS9 drivers.

Then installed again OS9 on the HFS+ part.
Again boots fine.

Then cloned a Tiger install on the HFS+ Journaled part.
Boots all fine on it.

Now I thought I could select the boot partition by holding the Alt key at startup. No…
It boots direct to Tiger.
Also it doesn't want to boot in OF and it doesn't want to zap PRAM…
Startup preferences doesn't see the HFS+ with OS9 installed as a bootable volume.
So I have no way to boot from that OS9, even though I know it's bootable, as it was before I cloned the Tiger install on the other part…

Any idea how to select the boot partition, or what causes the PB not wanting to boot in OF ?

XaPHER

macrumors 6502
Oct 13, 2010
Boot keys not working is possibly coming from a power management issue. In any case if there's nothing major you can set your OF variable auto-boot? to false to boot directly into OF. Just
Code:
sudo nvram auto-boot?=false
in a terminal and next reboot should end up there. reset-nvram + set-defaults from OF will revert the variable to true.

If you want to set your boot volume to Mac OS 9 (with an unsupported machine), I like to use bless. Given the system folder is (already) blessed, something like
Code:
 sudo bless --mount /volumes/(your os 9 volume name) --setBoot
should set the good boot partition, but
Code:
 sudo bless --folder9 /full/path/to/your/macos9/systemfolder --use9 --setBoot
will set the boot folder as well. Since I switch between 9 and X a lot I have a command-line script for that. There's always the bless man page.

Hope it helps.

Reactions: galgot

reukiodo

macrumors 6502
Nov 22, 2013
Earth
How do you switch back to OSX from OS9 in this scenario where Alt/Option doesn't show the boot list and you can't access OFW?

galgot

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 28, 2015
Thank You ! Will try that and report :)

Edit:
IMG_1151.JPG

Bless command works perfect. Thanks again.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.