Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

radicalmatzo

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 23, 2007
Hey guys quick question...currently i'm running a powerbook g4 1.67, and its starting to slow down on me. I have tons of pics and music and i have been faced with the predicament of either upgrading the RAM or just shelling out the extra money for a new computer. I run a lot of of my music programs on there as well (ie. Reason, ProTools) So what would you do? A few Mac people have told me to just upgrade the the ram and you'll see a huge difference and i'd be happy. But what do you guys think?

radicalmatzo

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 23, 2007
How much RAM do you have right now? Do you need a discrete video card?

512. here is the thing. everything runs great except when my iphoto is open, then everything is incredibly slow. i have about 3000 hi-res pics in there so i'm figuring that is doing the damage.

Lord Blackadder

macrumors P6
May 7, 2004
Sod off
I have a 15" PowerBook G4 1.33GHz with 1.25GB RAM, and with around 3500 high resolution photos in iPhoto performance is very good. I'd recommend maxing out the RAM, it's much cheaper than a new laptop and I think it will solve your issues.

aquajet

macrumors 68020
Feb 12, 2005
VA
I suspect you could benefit from a memory upgrade. But to make sure, open Activity Monitor in your Utilities folder. Click on the System Memory tab and tell us how many Page Outs you have. Do this after you've used your computer for a few hours, at the least.

Eidorian

macrumors Penryn
Mar 23, 2005
Indianapolis
512. here is the thing. everything runs great except when my iphoto is open, then everything is incredibly slow. i have about 3000 hi-res pics in there so i'm figuring that is doing the damage.
I haven't used 512 MB of RAM since 2003. I'd get with the times and get some more.

Quiara

macrumors regular
Sep 17, 2007
Go for 2. You can never have too much.

(Voice of satan: BUY THE NEW MACBOOK) ^_~

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.