PowerBook G4 - Upgrade Question

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by sammy2066, Jul 22, 2008.

1. sammy2066 macrumors 6502a

Hey Guys,

I have a PowerBook G4 that is running great. I don't have any issues with the machine running Leopard 10.5.4. The notebook has a gig of RAM (1GBx1) and an 80GB 5400RPM HDD.

Now, if I add another stick of RAM and maybe put a 7200RPM drive in here, would I see any substantial performance boost? (Spotlight performance, etc)

I can add the RAM rather easily, while replacing the HDD will be a chore.

I also believe that the HDD performance increase would be minimal, but I'm positive the RAM will help a lot.

What do you guys suggest?

Cheers,
    Sam

2. Eric. macrumors regular

I'm sure you'll see a difference with the RAM upgrade. The hard drive will probably give you more of a boost than you would expect. Getting a bigger drive will be quicker because of the higher data density (depends on the number of platters though, if your current drive was one platter and a 160GB was two 80GB platters I don't think there would be any increase) and if you get one with a higher spindle speed (7200rpm) you'll see some improvement as well.

3. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

Yes, Yes, YES!

I have a PowerBook G4 667, I put a 7200 RPM Drive and 1GB of RAM. My computer runs circles around most PCs running VISTA, including new ones.

TEG

4. sammy2066 thread starter macrumors 6502a

My PowerBook will be 3 years old in August. It's got an old 80GB Hitachi HDD. This was way before S-ATA and perpendicular recording. So maybe you're right, a higher density drive with a faster spindle speed would be great.

But again, my AppleCare runs out in August too. So if this laptop decides to fail on an epic scale, like a logic board failure etc etc, then all the effort to replace the HDD would not be justified.

Murphy's law tells me this 2 things ...

1) If I don't buy AppleCare, it will fail after a year.
    2) If I buy AppleCare, it will NOT fail for 3 years, and fail after the coverage ends.

;)

5. Eric. macrumors regular

Well, I wouldn't worry about the HDD unless you feel the need for space. Maybe just get an external one? It really just depends on how much longer you are going to use the PB and if you will need the space in that amount of time.

6. sammy2066 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Yeah, I'm definitely going with the RAM upgrade. I barely use this machine for browsing, email, music and chatting. And I'm just waiting on the new MBPs.