PowerBook G4 vs iBook G4???

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by aleccj1, Apr 18, 2009.

1. aleccj1 macrumors newbie

I am trying to decide which laptop I should get. I really would not like an Intel [my brother is pretty sneaky, so I don't want to give him the chance of installing Windows on it, don't ask :)]. I've narrowed it down to two:
    1. Powerbook G4, 15 inches, 1.67 GHz, 2GB RAM, $680
    2. iBook G4, 14 inches, 1.42 GHz, 1.5 GB RAM, $650

These are the maximum prices for these, not the exact number. My only uses for these would be web browsing, email, and word processing, so nothing heavy:D. Prices really don't matter with these small differences. Opinions are appreciated.
    EDIT: I don't want a G3, eventually I would install OS X 10.5 Leopard.
    EDIT # 2: NO INTELS

2. Shake 'n' Bake macrumors 68020

Shake 'n' Bake

I'd go for a G3 if that's all he needs it for, it will be less than half the cost. And it can run Tiger.

3. aleccj1 thread starter macrumors newbie

I really don't want a g3, eventually I would install Leopard.

4. scienide09 macrumors 65816

scienide09

If this is the case, and you're thinking about spending the kind of money you listed above, you might as well go for an Intel Mac. I know this isn't what you wanted, but Leopard really will run better on an Intel-based system, rather than a G4.

5. tompon1923 macrumors 6502

tompon1923

Definitely go for the PowerBook, they still look amazing

Also if you care about portability the 12" powerbook
    is a very nice option too.

6. clyde2801 macrumors 601

clyde2801

Those prices are kind of high. Check out www.mac2sell.net to get a better idea of what those systems are worth. Of the two, I'd rather have the powerbook since they always had better graphics cards than the ibook; you may get a little more use out of it. (Though either one of those would work for what you're wanting them for.)

If they won't come down, I'd consider a early intel macbook or 1st gen macbook pro for that kind of money.

7. windowpain macrumors 6502a

Definitely get option one, both prices being equal it'll run a fair bit faster due to the better graphics card, esp when snow leopard comes out.

I have an ibook (1.33ghz) and it is used daily, it's not bad for a 4 year old laptop, and it runs 10.5 fine. But it does lack power..

Both should be adequate for your needs.

8. zer0tails macrumors 65816

zer0tails

9. iNash macrumors 6502

iNash

For the tiny price difference go for the PowerBook.

TBH you will probably find that as you start to use it you'll probably end up wanting to do more things (particularly if you install Leopard. :D

I agree, although you don't want it an intel chip will run Leopard much smoother.

I have 2 intel Macs and 1 PowerPC all running 10.5 and there is a notable difference with the intel chips.

10. clyde2801 macrumors 601

clyde2801

For his stated purposes, a g4 portable would do fine. I think they're wanting too much money for those machines, though.