PowerBook G4 will not turn on when using just the battery

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by 1300beetle, Oct 8, 2008.

1. 1300beetle macrumors newbie

My PowerBook G4 will sometimes not turn on when using just the battery, if i connect the AC power supply it will power up but it then gives me a message saying your time and date is set incorrectly.

Also when i try and shut down my laptop with just the battery connected it shuts down without giving me the usual options Restart, Sleep, Cancel and Shutdown

I have tried resetting the PMU, swapping the battery, purchased and changed the PRAM battery none of which have solved the problem.

Any thoughts or ideas welcome.

2. Reflow macrumors 68000

Reflow

Maybe the DC board is bad. Do you see it charging?

3. 1300beetle thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes the battery seems to be charging, whilst typing it has gone up from 96% to 98% but its still orange, when i think it should be green?

4. Reflow macrumors 68000

Reflow

You say that you have another battery. What happens when you install it samething?

5. 1300beetle thread starter macrumors newbie

When using my old battery i get the same problem, i have used a volt meter to check the volts and it reads just under 12V currently trying to test the amps but seem to get nothing i guess its current limited?

6. Reflow macrumors 68000

Reflow

Can you remove the battery while plugged in. Does it work. Also do you have another PB to test the batterys on?

7. Metuas macrumors regular

Metuas

I was about to suggest the PRAM battery, but obviously switching it out didn't help.

Perhaps the connections of the PRAM battery are damaged? The symptoms sound very much like PRAM damage - especially the date/time thing.

8. 1300beetle thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes it still works when you remove the battery. Unfortunately i do not have access to another PB to test the batts

9. 1300beetle thread starter macrumors newbie

Both ends of the PRAM battery conection and the surrounding area all looked good, no track damage or conection damage.

10. Reflow macrumors 68000

Reflow

What happens when you push the button on the battery. Does it show the charge lights?

11. 1300beetle thread starter macrumors newbie

Both batteries led indicators show that they are fully charged.