Powerbook G4 - Wireless Never Worked

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by helios43, Apr 9, 2010.

1. helios43 macrumors newbie

I'm looking for advice on how to (finally) get wireless internet on my powerbook g4.

When I bought it in 2005 the wireless worked poorly. The Genius Bar guys told me that nothing was wrong so I just used an ethernet throughout college. But now I'm done with college and needed my wireless to work better.

So I brought it back to the Genius Bar and they told me my wireless card wasn't working properly. They won't replace is because I'm out of warranty (which is frustrating because they didn't diagnose it 5 years ago, but that's not the point).

I replaced the wireless card using one from a friend's old Powerbook (same generation and size, 12"). But now the internet just doesn't work at all.

IS THERE A PRODUCT I CAN BUY TO PUT IN THE MACHINE OR IN THE USB PORT TO ENABLE WIRELESS CONNECTION?

Thanks.

2. Archon Gold macrumors 6502

Just buy any USB wireless adapter and as long as it has the broadcom chip in it, then Mac OS X will recognize it as an airport card.

3. gwsat macrumors 68000

gwsat

I have a Powerbook G4. Its Airport adapter finally got so bad I had to do something about it. Last month, I ordered a Newer Technology MAXPower 802.11g/b Wireless USB 2.0 Stick Adapter from OWC. It has worked very well.

4. helios43 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you!

Thank you both for the advice! I'm ordering a Newer Technology MAXPower and am hopefully this issue will finally be over.:)