Powerbook G4 won't boot from external FW drive

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by tubagruv, May 9, 2012.

1. tubagruv macrumors newbie

Okay, here goes... Powerbook Al G4, 1.5 GHz. Hard drive has crapped out. Boot goes only to the Apple logo after the grey screen, and then stops. No sound from internal HD. (That can't be good.)

External FW drive has Tiger installed, OS X 10.4.6, nothing else. Works great. I can even boot my old iBook Dual USB off of this drive using the usual boot key combos. Runs slow, but runs as expected. At least this lets me know I didn't format the drive incorrectly.

The PowerBook will boot from the retail Tiger installer DVD. Too bad that Disk Utility freezes when trying to access the internal HD. I can't do squat with that. Disk Utility did let me format the external FW drive, though, and I installed Tiger from the DVD. This was over FW, of course, so I know that the PowerBook's FW chip isn't fried.

While still booted from the Tiger DVD, I used Startup Disk to select my external FW drive. Restart, and the activity light on the FW drive only blinks once. The Powerbook heads for the internal drive, and hangs at the Apple logo. :(

Restart, holding down the Option key... I get two choices, the Tiger DVD, or the internal drive. I rescan several times, connecting the drive over FW 400 and 800. No dice. The Powerbook does not see the drive.

Got the DVD out, and restarted holding Cmd-Opt-Shift-Delete. This gets me the folder with blinking question mark icon. About 10 seconds after letting go of the key combo, off to the internal drive again, and another hang at the Apple logo. :mad:

Reset PRAM. Reset NVRAM. Swapped batteries.

Baffled.

Any ideas?

-Tom

2. minifridge1138 macrumors 6502a

Can you use the install dvd to select the FW drive as the boot drive?