Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Rick Shepherd

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 28, 2006
Hi,

Tonight, I opened up Garageband, went into preferences to configure the audio for my peripheral audio device, and the computer and curser locked up, so I had to shut it down by pressing the power button for 4 seconds. I restarted the G4 and it would only boot up to a blue screen with the pointer curser, but would not finish loading anything on the desktop, no icons, no menu, nothing. I tried restarting repeatedly this way, but got the same result each time. Any thoughts on what could be wrong? Any way to correct this problem?

MongoTheGeek

macrumors 68040
Rick Shepherd said:
Hi,

Tonight, I opened up Garageband, went into preferences to configure the audio for my peripheral audio device, and the computer and curser locked up, so I had to shut it down by pressing the power button for 4 seconds. I restarted the G4 and it would only boot up to a blue screen with the pointer curser, but would not finish loading anything on the desktop, no icons, no menu, nothing. I tried restarting repeatedly this way, but got the same result each time. Any thoughts on what could be wrong? Any way to correct this problem?

Flash the pram. Reboot it. Hold down apple-option-p-r. It will beep and restart.

If that doesn't work try booting from a recovery cd. Getting it fully booted may be sufficient

Shadow

macrumors 68000
Feb 17, 2006
mad jew said:
While you're booted from the CD, head to Disk Utility (in the Installer menu I believe) and Repair Disk. It can't hurt and it might help. :)
WRONG! Its in the Utilites menu.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.