PowerBook G4

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by abtekk, Nov 18, 2013.

1. abtekk macrumors newbie

I've always been a fan of PowerPC and I've recently moved over to the Apple side of the tech world ;). I picked up a cheap 2002 PowerBook G4 15" Titanium with 1GHz processor and 512MB RAM. I threw on a fresh install of 10.4 and you know what? She runs beautifully. I only used it a little, though. I only need this PB for web browsing and emails, maybe a bit of quake, so I want to squeeze out as much performance as possible. Would an SSD make that much of a difference? I'll definitely be maxing out the RAM to 1GB. I'll possibly stay on 10.4 though, Leopard seems to hog down the G4.

2. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

My son has your Mac. Titanium 1Ghz DVI. He's got 1GB of ram and it runs Leopard just fine. I've had Leopard running fine on 400mhz machines with 1GB of ram so it's not really an issue.

Yes, an SSD would improve things, but you will have to be creative. Most PowerPC Macs and all iBook/PowerBooks use PATA/IDE and not a SATA interface. PATA SSDs are expensive and hard to find and generally low capacity. You can go the route of a SATA SSD with an adapter, but you'd have to find the right one because the space for the drive in the TiBooks is tight.

Definitely get another 512mb ram stick. You will notice the difference.

3. abtekk thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks, out of curiosity, does he do any old-school gaming on it?

4. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

Well, he's ten. Most of what he does is little flash sites for kids games. He does have some games he's downloaded that run on PowerPC Macs, but again, kids games. Nothing like Quake or anything. Too young for that right now.

But that particular Mac is a rocket so I don't see it having any difficulty with games of it's era.

5. abtekk thread starter macrumors newbie

Good, I'm hoping to get Q3 Arena or OpenArena on it or something.

6. Zotaccian macrumors 6502a

Zotaccian

7. abtekk thread starter macrumors newbie