Powerbook G4

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by mark10197, Jul 13, 2008.

1. mark10197 macrumors member

I have a 12" ibook g4. I really want a new computer just don't have a lot of money. My friend has a 1.5 ghz powerbook with 128mb vram and 120 gb hd for 450. Is that a good deal?

2. TSE macrumors 68030

Yes, that is a decent deal. You will most likely not see a difference in speed unless you do PPC gaming though.

3. aross99 macrumors 68000

aross99

I would hold out for a MacBook Refurb from the Apple Store. You can get these for $949 every now and then. I know that is a big step up in cost, but its the only thing that will provide a noticeable increase in performance.

That is the best bang-for-your buck for a Mac Laptop...

4. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

That more than twice what he's talking about. The OP is low on cash and wants to know if it's a good deal for him. It is. The PB should be much better than the iBook in a lot of ways.

5. mark10197 thread starter macrumors member

I think I'm gonna buy because I saw the same machine sell on ebay for 600

6. peapody macrumors 68040

peapody

Depends on the condition of course..but I just sold a 1.33ghz MINTY 12" for $600 - and I think that is a great price for the buyer. I'd say $450 is a good price only if the battery life is good, and its in nice shape. Otherwise, it seems like a fair one.

But you won't get a drastic increase in computing speeds from your ibook really. Just be aware of that. Might be a good idea to just save up for a used macbook.

The 12" powerbooks are really beautiful machines, and great if they are in nice condition because you can really appreciate them.

7. aross99 macrumors 68000

aross99

This was my point as well.

You didn't say what size screen the Powerbook has. If it has a 15" screen, that could be a nice improvement though.

If your iBook is one of the slower ones (say less than 1.0Ghz), then I would think you would see SOME speed improvement, but only you can say if it is worth the price...

8. heatmiser macrumors 68020

For that money, you could get a decent PC dual core laptop. That's what I'd do if I needed a new laptop in that range; no sense investing in PPC when much newer machines are available unless you can't do without OS X.

9. aross99 macrumors 68000

aross99

I'm pretty sure he can't do without OS X...

I'd take the old powerbook over a Windows PC...

10. peapody macrumors 68040

peapody

yeah...would be like a "sidegrade" if the powerbook wasn't minty, or a larger screen. While the powerbook can play games and handle applications like photoshop or illustrator and final cut pro, and others...it would be slightly sluggish and annoying to use. The graphics of the PB, while greater than the ibook, wouldn't be that much of an improvement vs. cost. This is my opinion though..

11. Bobjob186 macrumors 6502

That's a fair price, if it's in really good condition I would be buy it.

12. mark10197 thread starter macrumors member

I have an 800mhz ibook. I think it should be an improvment. ; )
    It has a 15in screen 1.5gb of ram and 2.5hr battery life. Then I found some chump who will give me 300 for my ibook!

13. peapody macrumors 68040

peapody

Hmm that is real sad when you put it like that. Karma dude.

14. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Definitely do the PB, but do your karma a favor and sell the "chump" the iBook for $250 or under. ;)

15. aross99 macrumors 68000

aross99

For a net cost of $150 it is definitely worth it for the larger screen and the performance increase. You could even run leopard on it, if you wanted too, although Tiger might be faster on that machine.

16. mark10197 thread starter macrumors member

He offered 400. I told him that was way to much! (my ibook is very clean, new battery, maxed out on ram, a nice case, superdrive, and bluetooth) Then he said 300, and I told him I'd think about it.

17. mark10197 thread starter macrumors member

Well,
    I baught it! SOOOO much better thaen my iBook. The 15'' diplay is friggin fantastic! Leopard seems much better to. (Ihacked leopard to run on my iBook) I'm gonna save for an iMac when snow leopard is being shipped on them so I have a good laptop and desktop.

18. mBurns macrumors 6502

Well, congratulations on the purchase. I'm sure you'll enjoy the Mac a lot!

19. kabunaru Guest

Congratulations. Enjoy your PowerPC Mac and it's a very capable machine. :)

20. Techguy172 macrumors 68000

That sounds like a nice upgrade, The PowerBook's are still very good computers and I would definitely take a PowerBook instead of some cheap PC.